Subject Lead for Geography
MPS + TLR 2a
Alcester Academy is a highly successful 11-16 school with 610 students currently on roll. Alcester is located between Studley and Stratford-Upon-Avon. The school has an excellent reputation based on examination results, a progressive approach to educational development and a strong sense of community. At our last inspection, Ofsted judged us good with a view to returning very soon in order to re-assess this decision towards an outstanding judgement. The schools’ overall Progress 8 score for 2019 was 0.77, which once again places us as one of the top performing non selective schools in Warwickshire, and in the top 5% nationally.
Further details about the school can be found on our website (www.alcesteracademy.org.uk), including our current curriculum information. Our Twitter feed (@AlcesterAcademy) is another excellent source for a feel of the school.
EBacc at Alcester Academy
Students and staff at Alcester Academy are a delight to work alongside. As Subject Lead for Geography you would have strategic leadership of Geography. All of the Humanities subjects appear as GCSE options at key stage four. There is an increase in student uptake of the EBacc at Alcester Academy and this is a future development area that is a focus. Student outcomes in many of these areas are strong and this needs to be sustained over time.
This is an exciting opportunity for a strong middle leader with a proven track record of exemplary student outcomes. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate experience of effective leadership and management in a Middle Leadership position, and a willingness to contribute to the whole staff team. Flexibility and the ability to innovate are desirable qualities, along with energy and capacity for hard work. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of what effective Teaching & Learning looks like for children of all abilities and be committed to enable all students to access the curriculum in order to fulfil their academic potential. They will be able to engage and enthuse students of all aptitudes. Resilience and drive are desirable qualities in order to ensure that students at Alcester Academy are provided with the very best life opportunities possible.
The Application Process
Please complete the application form. A written statement in support of your application will be accepted but we do not consider CVs.
The application deadline is 12 noon on Monday 3rd February 2020. Interviews will take place on Friday 7th February 2020.
We reserve the right to follow up references provided in person.
If you have any questions with regard to this vacancy or wish to visit the school, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application.
Please note that this school is committed to safeguarding, equality of opportunity, and promoting the welfare of children and young people. An enhanced DBS check will be required.
Job Description: Head of Geography
Line of responsibility
The Head of Geography is directly responsible to an SLT member.
All teaching staff members within this subject area.
Job content - Strategic purpose
This job description is offered in addition to that of a Teacher to outline duties which must be fulfilled in relation to specific Teaching and Learning Responsibility payments.
The role of Subject Leader is a significant responsibility. A Subject Leader is accountable for not only their own performance, but that of others who work within their subject area. A Subject Leader will be assigned a line manager and this will usually be someone who holds a position within the Senior or Extended Leadership Team.
At times the Line Manager will direct the work of a Subject Leader. However, there is an expectation that a
Subject Leader will be self-motivated and will act without direct instruction.
Subject Leaders will be responsible for monitoring, evaluation and review across their defined subject area.
This will be more than simply collecting evidence; extending to interventions and support where needs arise.
Areas that will be considered include:
• accuracy of teacher assessments and reported data
• quality of written reports to parents
• quality of teaching, including adherence to the published programme of learning
• quality of marking, feedback and response to marking
• consistent application of the Behaviour and Discipline Policy
• consistent application of the Rewards Policy
• provision of homework in line with academy policy
Subject Leaders will maintain clear communication of performance through the completion of:
• exams analysis
• self-evaluation form
• improvement plans
Subject Leaders will ensure effective and cooperative work through their defined subject area through ensuring:
• communication with teams is regular and efficient
• schemes of work are in place in sufficient detail for teachers to plan and deliver a series of lessons
• assessments are developed with suitable rigour from which reliable progress data can be drawn
• a Programme for learning and assessment is in place and is followed by all teachers
• teachers specific subject related professional development needs are considered and catered for
• appropriate cover work is provided by members of staff when they are absent
• appropriate provision is made for continuity of education in the long term absence of teachers
• adequate information is shared with parents through the school website such that parents know the content that will be assessed at each assessment point
• subject enrichment opportunities are developed to promote a ‘love of the subject’
• value for money is achieved in managing departmental capitation (including reprographic charges)
In addition to the duties outlined above, all Subject Leaders are expected to undertake any other task reasonably requested by the Headteacher.
Elements of this job description may be negotiated at the request of either party and with the agreement of both.