Head of Geography
The successful applicant will hold a recognised teaching qualification and have a proven track record of effective Geography teaching. Experience of teaching IGCSE and IB diploma is desired. The ability to teach Theory of Knowledge would be beneficial. They will be well organised, hard-working and capable of working collaboratively as a member of a team. Some knowledge of Spanish would be beneficial but not essential; a willingness to learn Spanish is important.
The Geography Teacher will:
● Plan, prepare and teach.
● Set and mark work, including examinations.
● Manage pupil behaviour and maintain a safe learning environment.
● Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge.
● Assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of pupils.
● Set high expectations to inspire, motivate and challenge pupils.
● Collaborate with members of the department to prepare and develop schemes of work, sharing best practice.
● Adapt teaching accordingly, knowing how and when to differentiate to help each pupil reach their potential.
Appraisal and professional development
● To participate fully in the school’s staff development and appraisal programs.
● To show initiative and interest in keeping abreast with recent developments in education.
● To take responsibility for continued professional development.
● To undertake job related training as required by the School.
Additional professional responsibilities
● To contribute to the wider life of the school through the school’s co-curricular program.
● To act as a Form Teacher.
● To accompany pupils on trips outside of the school.
● To promote and safeguard the welfare of pupils in line with the school’s child protection and health and safety policies.
● Maintain an understanding of technology and its use in teaching and learning.
● Be a proficient user of Google Suite.
● Use the school supplied technology resources primarily for teaching and learning purposes.
A Geography degree at a good level (essential)
Recognised teaching qualification, such as PGCE or equivalent (essential)
Masters or postgraduate qualification in a related subject (desirable)
Essential Knowledge and Competencies Required
Excellent subject knowledge
Up to date knowledge of educational developments and issues.
Ability to understand and willingness to be committed to the philosophy and ethos of the School.
Ability to effectively manage one’s own time.
Capacity to work unsupervised and use initiative.
Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Dedicated to improving the lives of young people through education
The ability to motivate and inspire young people through teaching
Excellent classroom management skills
A team player
Creative approach to teaching and learning, adapting to the needs of the pupil
Experience of teaching Geography in a Secondary school
Ability to speak both Spanish and English.
Teaching experience at IGCSE and IB.
Teaching experience in Theory of Knowledge.
Experience of working with EAL pupils (English as an Additional Language).
Other Relevant Information
This position description is a guide only and is not intended to be an exhaustive or exclusive list of the duties attached to this position.