The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building opened in early 2017 with the Sixth Form Centre in September 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across all year groups. We are also working to increase the number of extra curricula activities offered to pupils with a focus on music and the performing arts. Each year we have seen an increase in student numbers, and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an Academic mentor in science to continue our excellent work in these areas.
The successful candidate must be able to:
• plan and deliver outstanding interventions and activities that engage and motivate students
• work well as part of a team
• embrace the co-curricula and extra curricula aspects of the academy
• have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• have a ‘can-do’ attitude; be highly organised and
• have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
It is an offence to apply for this role if an applicant is barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
Please follow the below link to view the David Nieper Education Trust Safeguarding/Child Protection Policy https://davidnieper.academy/about-us/academy-policies/
Graduate Academic Mentor - Science
This is an outstanding opportunity for an inspirational and enthusiastic graduate to join a busy and thriving department in order to support and work with small groups and individuals across the secondary age range in order to support their development in science as well as gaining valuable experience in Science education.
The Academic mentor will be involved in leading individual sessions, small groups and working alongside Science teachers Teacher to design, develop and deliver outstanding intervention and support sessions. The successful candidate will have a positive attitude and be passionate about the development of scientific understanding and confidence at the Academy.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a strong background in science education and will have completed their specialist degree. The responsibilities below are not exhaustive and can be tailored to some extent to the strengths and interests of the individual.
• Plan and lead subject specific work with small groups
• Plan and lead 1:1 subject specific work
• Plan and lead revision sessions
• Provide additional support to pupils or groups of pupils as required throughout the year
• To record, track and report the progress of any pupil receiving intervention and support
• Assisting with science lessons
• To take an active role in running and leading interventions and/or extra-curricular clubs both lunchtimes/afterschool
• To assist in the running of science events throughout the year
• To help maintain the upkeep of the department
• Attending the weekly departmental meeting
• Undertake professional development as agreed with academy leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher.
• Ongoing training, support and mentoring will be provided
• Free access to BUPA Employee Assistance Programme
• Free onsite Parking
• Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
David Nieper Academy is a co-educational secondary academy, formerly known as Alfreton Grange Art College. The school itself was first established in 1939, and adopted its current name in 2016 following its conversion into an academy. The school is c...