Ark Conway Primary Academy
A unique opportunity to join a passionate team of staff in an Outstanding new and growing academy
Ark Conway Primary Academy opened as a new primary school for 4-11 year olds in a refurbished, beautiful library on Hemlock Road, White City in September 2011. It has one form of entry and is non-denominational and non-selective, welcoming boys and girls of all abilities from the local area. Ark Conway was judged as outstanding in all areas by Ofsted in July 2013.
We are now looking for a Graduate Co-teacher who is committed to providing learning support to pupils and small groups who need it the most. We need exceptional graduates who will be inspirational role models to our pupils and work with both teachers and the wider school community to establish a supportive and nurturing learning environment in which children make rapid academic progress.
This role is perfect preparation for training to be a teacher with the Ark Teacher Training programme http://arkteachertraining.org/. Our recent Graduate Co-teachers have successfully gained a place on the programme and are now working towards Qualified Teaching Status with us. We invest in our teachers as they aspire to continually develop their practice and become outstanding practitioners and leaders.
We are now in our 5th generation of Co-teacher model with Middle Leaders, Newly Qualified Teachers, Ark Teacher Trainees and Graduate Co-teachers in place.
Our ideal candidate will:
• Have experience working with young people in a paid or voluntary capacity
• Have a strong academic background in English and Mathematics
• Have the desire and enthusiasm to help deliver outstanding teaching
• Be committed to Ark Conway’s ethos of high expectations
• Have the resolve to make a real difference to the lives of pupils
If you share our commitment to providing an outstanding learning environment, then we look forward to hearing from you.
The closing date for applications is 9am on Monday, 14th January 2019. Interviews will take place on Monday, 21st January 2019.
Deadline: 9am – Monday, 14th January 2019
Start date: asap
Salary: Ark Support staff Band 4, point 16 £21,727.00 pro rata. Actual Salary £18,605.88
Hours: 36 hours per week, term time only
Contract: Fixed Term Contract for one year (possibility of extension for the right candidate.)
Ark Schools is committed to safeguarding children; successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check.
Reporting to: Assistant Principal
Location: Ark Conway Primary Academy
Contract: Fixed Term Contract for one year (possibility of extension for the right candidate).
Working Pattern: Term Time
Salary: Ark Support Staff : Band 4 (Spine point 16) £21,727.00 pro-rata. Actual salary: £18,605.88
As a Graduate Co-teacher, you will get ready to train as a qualified teacher. You will support pupils, parents, teachers, and the school to establish a supportive and nurturing learning environment in which children make rapid academic progress and form habits of excellence.
• Support individuals and groups of pupils to help them learn
• Support teachers, parents and other colleagues to help create an effective and purposeful learning environment
• Promote inclusion and acceptance of all pupils in the school, including those with physical, learning and behaviour difficulties, and work with teachers to assess the needs of individual children
• Work with the Inclusion Manager and other teachers to implement provision maps and develop resources for pupils who have: English as a second language, speech or language impairments, or behaviours that interfere with learning and/or relationships
• Plan and facilitate small group teaching, undertake direction for one to one teaching and intervention, and assist with whole class teaching when appropriate
• Encouraging children to take responsibility for their own learning and promoting development of self-esteem
• Observe, record and feedback information of pupil performance
• Assist in creating materials for curriculum delivery and display boards
• Assist with behaviour management within and outside the classroom
• Assist pupils' achievement outside of the classroom, e.g. computer lab, library
• Supervise pupils at playtime and lunchtime
• Assist with follow-through for related services, e.g., speech/language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy
• Run extra-curricular activities and participate in trips and visits
• Maintain stock supplies and distribute as required
• Actively promote the safety and welfare of our children and young people
• Ensure compliance with Arks data protection rules and procedures
• Maintain pupil and family confidentiality
• Liaise with colleagues and external contacts at all levels of seniority with confidence, tact and diplomacy
• Work with Ark Central and other academies in the Ark network, to establish good practice throughout the network, offering support where required
This job description is not an exhaustive list and you will be expected to carry out any other reasonable tasks as directed by your line manager.
• Qualified to degree level
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Experience of working with young people or adults in a paid or voluntary capacity
• Experience of the role of a TA and in particular classroom organisation and management (desirable)
• Good communication skills, including written and oral
• Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
• Competent with computers and other technology
• Good administrative and organisational skills
• Able to understand and implement particular strategies and methods to help pupils to improve their learning and enjoyment of learning
• Able to deal with minor incidents, first aid, and the personal health and hygiene of the pupils
• Understand the importance of confidentiality and discretion
• A desire to become a qualified teacher in the future
• Genuine passion for and a belief in the potential of every pupil
• A robust awareness of keeping children safe, noticing safeguarding and welfare concerns, and you understand how and when to take appropriate action
• Belief that every student should have access to an excellent education regardless of background
• Professional outlook, detailed orientated and able to multi task and meet deadlines
• A team player that can work collaboratively as well as using own initiative
• Calm and professional under pressure
• Understanding of the importance of confidentiality and discretion
• Flexible attitude towards work and demonstrates sound judgement
• Right to work in the UK
• Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all students
• Willingness to undertake training
• This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.