The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building opened in early 2017 with the Sixth Form Centre in September 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across all year groups. We are also working to increase the number of extra curricula activities offered to pupils with a focus on music and the performing arts. Each year we have seen an increase in student numbers, and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key component in the development of the academy.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint a Graduate Music Assistant to continue our excellent work in these areas.
The successful candidate must be able to:
• plan and deliver outstanding activities that engage and motivate students
• work well as part of a team
• embrace the co-curricula and extra curricula aspects of the academy
• have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• have a ‘can-do’ attitude; be highly organised and
• have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an inspirational and enthusiastic graduate to join a busy and thriving department in order to gain valuable experience in Music education.
The Graduate Music Assistant will be involved in leading individual sessions, small groups and working alongside the Music Teacher to design, develop and deliver outstanding lessons. The successful candidate will have a positive attitude and be passionate about the development of Music at the Academy. They should contribute further to music at the school through their musical skills and whilst Keyboard skills are preferable, they are not essential.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a strong background in music and will have completed their specialist academic/performing degree. The responsibilities below are not exhaustive and can be tailored to some extent to the strengths and interests of the individual.
• Assisting with academic music lessons
• Teaching of some KS3 lessons
• To take an active role in running and leading extra-curricular clubs both lunchtimes/afterschool
• Assisting with the development of the Academy’s peripatetic provision: including the timetabling of rooms, pupils and staff.
• Where appropriate, 1-2-1 teaching as part of KS4 composition coursework (some knowledge of Musescore/ Mixcraft will be needed)
• To assist in the running of music and drama events
• To help maintain the upkeep of the department
• Ensuring pupils meet deadlines for submission of prep and coursework and giving informative feedback on pupils’ progress
• Attending the weekly departmental meeting
• Undertake professional development as agreed with academy leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher.
• Free access to BUPA Employee Assistance Programme
• Free onsite Parking
• Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
• Good Honours Degree in Music or closely related subject
• Qualifications in teaching
• Additional qualifications
• Experience of successful teaching/ leading of musical activities
• Evidence of continually improving own practice
• Experience within a school setting
Teaching and Learning
• Excellent music practitioner
• Good communication, planning and organisational skills
• Commitment to regular and on-going development and training to establish outstanding practice.
• A strong team player
• Prepared to go the extra mile
• Good sense of humour
David Nieper Academy
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
David Nieper Academy is a co-educational secondary academy, formerly known as Alfreton Grange Art College. The school itself was first established in 1939, and adopted its current name in 2016 following its conversion into an academy. The school is c...