Pay Rate: $32.71 - $33.92 per hour (pending experience)
Commencement Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Friday, 26 February 2021 unless filled prior
St Margaret Mary's College is a Townsville Girls Catholic High School, founded as in 1963 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. The College accepts enrolments from girls Years 7 to 12, and offers a wide variety of subjects and vocational programs. The College is also noted for its many extracurricular activities, its commitment to students with special needs and its variety of service opportunities for students.
About the Role
The Groundsperson, under the direction of the Facilities Manager, contributes to the effective and efficient operation and environment of the school by providing a high level of maintenance and upkeep of the schools’ grounds. The Groundsperson will be required to assess repairs quickly to enable maximum safety at all times. This role will be appointed on a casual/relief basis to work on a sporadic basis.
- Mowing, whipper snipping and tending to gardens
- Repairing and maintaining irrigation systems
- Maintaining and cleaning grounds and equipment
- Assisting with all general building maintenance, painting etc. as required
- Identifying and reporting defects and hazards as soon as practically possible.
- Some setup and dismantling of event equipment
Carry out minor repairs to the school property and equipment, including:
- Repairing leaking toilets, windows, desks, chairs, other minor carpentry and paint work
- Assist with the set up and dismantling of equipment for school events
- Removal of rubbish and other janitorial duties
- Assist with cleaning as required.
- Demonstrated experience with prioritising workload and ability to assess repairs quickly
- Experience with the provision of a high level of maintenance and development of facilities.
- Working knowledge of regulations, standards and safety applications of facilities
- Demonstrated flexibility and sensitivity to ensure the needs of students and staff are met to support learning
- An ability to communicate with a range of staff across secondary school settings
- A demonstrated ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships.
Mandatory Criteria/Professional Registration/Other
- Current Working with Children Suitability Card or eligibility to obtain same
- Undertake Workplace Health and Safety Training
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Ability to travel from time to time within the Catholic Diocese of Townsville
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the role in a safe manner
- This position will be subject to a pre-employment medical assessment to support the selection process. For some positions it may be necessary for the successful applicant to be immunised against certain preventable diseases in order to minimise the risk of transmission.
Please review the Position Description before preparing your application.
What we offer
- Competitive Salary starting: $32.71 - $33.92 per hour (pending experience)
- Modern facilities, equipment and resources
- Superannuation up to 12.75% employer contribution (in a co-contribution arrangement)
- Access to long service leave after 7 years of continuous service
- 14 Weeks’ paid parental leave
- Corporate health insurance
- Induction, professional development and learning opportunities
- Well-being programs and initiatives
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Upload a cover letter/supporting statement (no more than 2 A4 pages) which addresses your suitability in relation to the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required of the role.
- Upload a current resume which also includes the name, email address and contact details of two referees.
The closing date for applications for this role is 4pm Friday, 26 February 2021 unless filled prior.
Diocese of Townsville Catholic Education