We are seeking a Head of Business to lead a department and be part of a professionally dynamic, supportive and forward-thinking learning community, in a safe, family-friendly setting. The Head of Department will not only be a leader but a Subject Matter Expert as well. We believe that a teacher needs to have in-depth knowledge of the subject matter in order to effectively teach and lead.
To bring energetic and visionary leadership to the Business curriculum area and the development of our Financial Literacy programme. The Head of Business will ensure high quality curriculum provision and effective teaching and learning within the curriculum area of Business and Financial Literacy. To oversee the Economics examination groups.
Strategic Direction and Development of Business and Financial Literacy
• Establishing and maintaining policies and practices which promote high achievement through effective teaching and learning.
• Creating an environment where students and staff develop and maintain positive attitudes towards teaching and learning.
• Using data effectively to monitor and evaluate student progress; planning and implementing effective intervention to support all students to achieve highly.
• Analysing national, local and Academy data, research and inspection findings to inform curriculum area policies and practices, expectations and teaching methodologies and to report regularly to the Head / Deputy Head of School on progress and plans.
• Contributing to the Academy Improvement Plan and establishing an effective subject Improvement Planning Cycle to meet Academy strategic priorities.
• Carry out Performance Management in line with the academy policy to ensure that staff within the department are supported and also held to high levels of accountability.
• Prepare for Data Outturn meetings to map and track students’ outcomes across all key stages.
Teaching & Learning
• Ensuring appropriate, challenging and differentiated Programmes of Study and Schemes of Work are in place for all Business teaching groups and related courses such as Economics and Financial Literacy.
• Developing the curriculum to meet the needs of all students; introducing, planning and implementing of new and revised schemes of work in line with academy policies.
• Ensuring teaching and learning objectives are clear to all members of the department.
• Ensuring the schemes of work and all related documents are update on an annual cycle.
• Securing and sustaining effective teaching of the subject through structured quality assurance and rigorous monitoring and evaluation of all aspects of teaching and learning through lesson observations, feedback to teaching staff, work sampling, student interviews and written reports to the Leadership Team as necessary.
• Ensuring effective development of students’ literacy, numeracy and ICT skills within the subject.
• Map progress of students regularly against prior attainment and local and national norms and identify students at risk of underachieving.
Leading and Managing Staff
•Line managing all members of the Business department and providing effective support, challenge, information, and professional development for all staff within the subject area as necessary.
•Ensure staff with positions of responsibility are clear about their roles and responsibilities and work efficiently and effectively across the department.
•Establishing clear expectations and high standards of professionalism and collaboration across the subject. Providing structured support and assessment for NQT and trainees to enable them to meet the relevant professional standards.
•Working in collaboration with the SENCO, SEN staff and Leadership Team to ensure that Support Plans are used to set subject specific targets, as required.
•Attend meetings as required by the Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher and Line Manager. Efficient and Effective Deployment of Staff and Resources within the Business Team
•Using appropriate resources for effective, efficient and safe teaching and learning within the subject area; accommodation, staff, time, courses, development opportunities, ICT equipment.
•Creating an effective and stimulating learning environment for teaching and learning.
•Deploying accommodation to effectively meet the teaching and learning needs of the subject.
•Ensuring a safe working and learning environment through application of appropriate risk assessments.
•Ensure the department is fully and adequately resourced for all aspects of the curriculum. Teaching Commitment.
•The post holder will be expected to teach in line with the Academy’s generic teacher’s job specification. However, some designated non-contact time for leadership and management responsibilities will be made available.
The successful candidate must:
• have a degree in Business or a similar discipline.
• experience in teaching Economics would be an advantage.
• preferably have a post-graduate qualification in education (such as PGCE/GTP), with QTS.
• be able to engage, motivate and support children, staff and parents.
• be a reflective practitioner with the ability to think creatively and innovate.
• be a positive and enthusiastic member of staff.
• be willing to be involved in extra-curricular activities.
• most importantly of all, fully subscribe to the maxim that “all complex decision-making be based on what constitutes best practice for the child”.
The school offers a competitive, tax-free international salary and benefits package, comparable to other international schools in the region.
To apply for this position please use 'Quick Apply'.
RAK Academy Family of Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must have undergone child protection screening and any offer of appointment will be subject to such checks.
Due to the expected high levels of interest in positions, only candidates selected for a first interview will be contacted within fourteen (14) days of the closing date for applications.
United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
RAK Academy is an independent, co-educational international family of schools, situated in beautiful Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), the northernmost emirate of the UAE. Just one hour’s drive from Dubai International Airport and 20 minutes’ drive from Ras Al K...