The Head of Department French, directly influences the quality of learning and teaching throughout the school. The position is one that requires leadership in relation to curriculum initiatives, the learning and teaching process and co-ordination of a range of classes in the overseeing of Years 7-12 French curriculum. The Head of Department French will facilitate student learning with the department in order to enable all students to achieve to their fullest potential.
1. General Operations and Future Development of the French Department
Develop an approach to the operations of the department that includes innovative subject/curriculum area policies, future plans and targets within the context of the school’s strategic plan.
Develop a strategic plan to drive improvement across the School in standards, achievement and attainment in French.
2. Teaching and Learning
Ensure effective teaching and assessment processes within the French department, evaluate the quality of teaching and learning, the achievement of all students and set targets for improvement.
3. Leading and managing staff
Provide active leadership for all those involved in teaching or supporting the French department. This will include mentoring, collaborating and the sharing of information so that staff motivation is at an optimum level to encourage continuous improvement in the quality of teaching and learning.
Manage all allocated teaching and support staff including assisting with recruitment, managing performance and meeting agreed targets.
Create effective teams by inspiring and motivating students and staff. Be a positive role model for other staff and students by taking responsibility for the continuous improvement of the team within the context of the School.
4. Efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources
Identify appropriate resources for the department and ensure that they are used efficiently, effectively and safely.
5. Strengthening Community
Work collaboratively at both strategic and operational levels with other Heads of Department, parents and students.
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered in the Teacher job description and the employment contract. It may be modified by the Principal, upon mutual agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
PROFESSIONAL DUTIES AND ROLE ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Head of Department of Mathematics will carry out the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- In liaison with the specific subject teachers, assess and monitor the progress of the children throughout the school; ensuring that they are progressing at the appropriate rate and that problems are identified and addressed as early as possible, including liaising with the Skills Development Department where required.
- To develop and manage a budget for the running of the French Department and to ensure that costs are controlled within the budget.
- To oversee the development of the Departmental File and to establish a Development Plan for the French Department.
- To ensure that the Department is fully prepared for ISI and other such inspections.
- To maintain an awareness of best practice and new resources and techniques in French education to ensure that the School is adopting such practices.
- To contribute to the French Department staff reviews and to oversee the development of the staff in the Department: including training, regular work scrutinies and lesson observations.
- To ensure that the children enjoy a range of activities outside of regular lessons - eg French immersion mornings.
- To act as a second point of contact for parents (after the subject teacher), and to be available to address any concerns and complaints, passing them onto the SLT and Principal where required.
The Head of Department is appointed as Position of Leadership.
The appointee to this position will be required to undergo a yearly Professional Review with a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
The Head of Department participates fully in the total life of the School. The nature of the position is such that the Head of Department may be required to be available outside “normal” school hours.
Please note that this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements. However there may be changes to the job description as the role develops over a period of time. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and to assign duties as necessary.
DIS is committed to safeguarding children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.