Downside School is looking to appoint a well-qualified and inspirational Head of Girls’ Games / Head of Netball Development to this newly created post. Downside is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 11 to 18, and one of England’s oldest and most distinguished Catholic schools. The school is situated at the foot of the Mendip Hills, twelve miles south of the city of Bath.
This is a truly exciting opportunity for you to instigate, develop and manage a first class programme for girls sport in one of the leading HMC schools in the country. There is a real sense of ambition and aspiration for girls sport at Downside School which we hope will impact upon our achievement and reputation.
The successful candidate will be expected to lead the Girls’ Games programme at Downside, coordinating and overseeing the provision for and involvement of girls within Sport & PE throughout the school. The post would suit an experienced teacher with a background in playing and/or coaching Netball to a high standard.
The focus of the school’s girls’ games programme is sport (Netball and Hockey) for all and the development of players and teams to participate in our major sports, alongside numerous other sports/activities, including athletics, tennis, cross country, swimming, zumba, badminton and cricket. The Head of Girls’ Games will be supported by specialist coaches working within the sports department as well as by the wider school staff.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience in coaching Netball at a high level
- Is a graduate, in Physical Education or appropriate related discipline
- Is passionate about the development of girls sport, with a focus on Netball
- Enjoys working with children in an educational setting
- Has an ability to contribute significantly to the school’s wider-curricular programme
- Is committed to their own professional development.
- Embraces our Catholic, Benedictine ethos.
We can offer:
- Motivated, hard-working pupils
- An intellectually rewarding learning environment
- A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team
- Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement
Closing date for applications: Friday 29th September 2017, by 9am
Interviews to be carried out: TBC
To apply, please click on the apply button below. Please contact the HR email address if you require further information after reading the application pack.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the DBS. We are an equal opportunities employer. By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells. Registered Charity Number: 1158507