We are looking for a fully-qualified, inspirational and highly motivated Head of Humanities who will also deliver the History curriculum, willing to join our established and respected international school in Mallorca. The post will specialise in Key Stage 3 to 5 and deliver the Edexcel International iGCSE and A Level.
Living and Working in Mallorca: As a relaxed, friendly and cosmopolitan island, working in Mallorca has many benefits. From the beautiful beaches and coves spread across its 550km coastline, to the majestic world heritage Serra de Tramuntana mountain range, the splendid landscape means you are never far from the mountains or sea. The international city of Palma de Mallorca is also close by, one of Spain’s major cities, steeped in history, wonderful architecture, shops and restaurants. With an added benefit of cheap and short haul transport links to the UK and Europe.
Baleares International College (BIC) www.balearesint.net/Sa-Porrassa-Campus is the largest British Curriculum school in Mallorca, providing education based on the English National Curriculum to over 460 students (from 4 to 18 years) in Sa Porrassa, a very accessible but beautiful rural area adjacent to the south west coast of Mallorca. We are accredited by the Spanish Ministry of Education based upon inspection and recommendation by the British Council and are a founding member of the National Association of British Schools in Spain (NABSS). The school is also a member of COBIS, the Council of British International Schools and an examination centre for the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal School of Music)
The Baleares International College is part of the Orbital Education group, an expanding group of international schools specialising in providing the English National Curriculum to an internationally diverse student population. In addition to our partner school in Mallorca (based just outside of Palma) we also have schools in Hungary, China, Russia, Ecuador, Slovenia and the Middle East with plans to develop schools in new regions across the globe. In this role you would have opportunity to collaborate and work with teaching staff at our partner school, and at other schools across the group, to support our students achieve their potential. After two years’ successful employment you would also have the option to be considered for roles at other schools across the group, providing the opportunity to progress your career while also seeing the world.
Duties and responsibilities specific to the post: Teachers are responsible for delivering high quality learning in an organised, happy and safe environment. They work together with primary teaching colleagues in medium and short-term planning, target setting and monitoring to ensure challenge and the very best possible progress for every pupil. They participate in the broader life of the school, enriching the learning experience for students at BIC. At BIC achievements of every individual are valued and celebrated, contributing to a constructive and supportive learning environment.
Applicants should be committed and outstanding teaching practitioners, able to lead by example, possessing excellent IT, organisational and communication skills.
You should also:
- Be an excellent classroom practitioner adapting teaching styles to suit all groups of learners;
- Ensure planning of work is differentiated appropriately to evaluate the impact on progress and attainment for all groups of learners;
- Use assessment to set clear targets for improvement of pupils’ achievement and monitor pupils’ progress towards those targets;
- Use appropriate teaching learning strategies to communicate clear learning objectives and expectations for achieving excellence;
- Secure a good standard of behaviour for learning within the classroom through establishing appropriate rules and high expectations which pupils respect, acting to pre-empt and deal with inappropriate behaviour in the context of the school’s behaviour policy;
- Support and plan for pupils’ needs and evaluate your own teaching critically to improve effectiveness;
- Work as part of a strong team to evaluate and accurately assess children’s learning needs;
- Encourage children’s initiative, creativity, responsibilities and independence.
For more information please refer to the separate Job Description
Person Specification: The successful applicant will have:
- A good Honours degree from a British university;
- PGCE or equivalent;
- Recent experience as a teacher in the UK or British curriculum school overseas;
- A working knowledge of ICT including Google Docs;
For more information please refer to the separate Person Specification.
Applications: should be made by e-mail and include a completed application form, covering letter addressed to Mr. Giles, Principal, along with a colour photograph. An updated CV can also be sent.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com
Closing date: 7th May 2018. The school reserves the right to appoint before this deadline if the right candidate is found. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone/skype for a brief conversation with Mr. Duncan Giles, Principal. Final interviews will be held from the week beginning 23rd April. If you have not been contacted by 11th May please assume that, on this occasion your application has not been shortlisted.
Baleares International College is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post-holders are subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS (in the UK) or Criminal Records (Police Check) disclosure from their most recent country of residence.