Job Description: Head of Mathematics
Reporting to: SLT
Location: Ark Charter Academy
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: MPS/UPS + TLR1c
As a Head of Maths, you will be instrumental in our mission to provide every student, regardless of their background, a great education and real choices in life. We embody this by adopting the three values: Justice, Courage and Respect. We are committed to ensuring the Charter community of staff and students live by these three values and promote them through our everyday lives, whilst also promoting the six Charter skills: Honesty, Kindness, Independence, Team Work, Determination and Responsibility.
You will lead, develop and manage the effective delivery of an excellent curriculum, which enables the highest level of student progress and attainment.
Could you make a REAL difference?
Our teachers work hard every day to inspire each and every student to develop skills which will help them to achieve their full potential - both in the classroom and beyond. Further details of our CPD and training opportunities can be found at: https://arkonline.org/training-for-your-whole-career
As well as professional development, we also take the wellbeing of our staff seriously, as we recognise that teaching can be a challenging profession. Staff at our school work hard but we support them by providing development and relevant training opportunities. We also try to ensure that most meetings take place during our working day to protect our free time and have a supportive and approachable Principal who recognises and rewards the hard work staff put in.
Regrettably, we are unable to offer a visit to the school at this time but would welcome any questions via e-mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· To manage and lead the Mathematics department in terms of curriculum development, assessment and culture & ethos.
· To lead, design and implement a whole school approach to teaching Mathematics and Numeracy skills.
· Lead numeracy whole academy Teaching and Learning projects.
· Contribute to the leadership of the academy and its staff in order to achieve high standards of behaviour and attainment
Leadership and Management
· Lead, develop and line manage the department’s staff, through the provision of CPD, inset training days, supervising NQTs, ITT students and support staff, etc.
· Monitor, evaluate and continually improve the quality of planning, teaching, and assessment of all members of the Mathematics team
· Manage departmental budget and resources effectively and efficiently
· Lead behaviour management in the department, securing strong routines for learning, consistent with the academy’s policy, and liaising with tutors and parents when necessary
· Develop strong partnerships and ensure regular communication with parents and carers
School Ethos and Culture
· Support the Principal in fostering a strong sense of academy community and ethos among both staff and students
· To develop whole school culture of best practice in Mathematics and Numeracy.
· Promote consistent implementation of behaviour policy and system of rewards and sanctions, characterised by orderly behaviour, caring and respectful relationships, and no shouting
· Act as a positive role model to staff and students.
· Lead behaviour management in the Mathematics department, securing strong routines for learning, consistent with the academy’s policy, and liaising with tutors and parents when necessary
· To engage parents in children's Mathematics and Numeracy.
Improving Teaching & Learning
· Model outstanding teaching and lead collaborative planning and development, including the sharing of resources and best practice within the department
· Be responsible for tracking student progress across the faculty, analysing all relevant data to make data-driven changes to the curriculum design and intervention strategies and using the data to monitor the performance of subject staff
· Be accountable for student progress in Mathematics across the school at all key stages, ensuring that all students achieve results in line with, or better than, value-added predictions
· Monitor the work of the department through rigorous and regular lesson observations, work scrutinies, and provide detailed, constructive feedback
· Lead joint practice development across the faculty subject teams, ensuring that outstanding practice is shared with all staff in the faculty and the wider school, and work with other department heads to exploit cross-year and cross-curricular links
· Plan, deliver, monitor and evaluate the curriculum provision and enrichment for all year groups within the department
· Monitor the identification of and provision for students with individual needs, and develop differentiated learning and teaching methods and schemes of learning
· Participate actively throughout the network, by attending relevant meetings, and, as appropriate, delivering network-wide training and initiatives
· Work with colleagues, students and families to develop a strong school community
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. This process is outlined here, but can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
A full job description and person specification can be found attached.