We have an excellent opportunity for an existing Head of Department/Faculty, or ambitious Teacher, who can help to promote Mathematics via curriculum enrichment, and is willing to seek opportunities to develop teaching and learning within their subject. It is essential that you can genuinely inspire pupils to develop as learners in a highly supportive and academically ambitious School environment.
Downside is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 11 to 18, and one of England’s oldest and most distinguished Catholic schools. We are situated at the foot of the Mendip Hills, twelve miles south of the city of Bath. At Downside, we consider the study of Mathematics to be an integral part of each pupil’s education.
Our Mathematics Faculty houses a suite of 4 classrooms and, at present, there are 7 members of staff to manage. Candidates for this role will be passionate about teaching pupils of the highest calibre up to, and including Oxbridge entrance level. Our latest ISI inspection report states that ‘the quality of pupils’ achievement and learning is excellent’ and ‘the quality of teaching is excellent overall’.
The successful candidate should possess the drive and determination to enthuse all pupils to reach the highest standards. As a boarding School, all our Teachers engage fully in co-curricular activities and the boarding life of the School.
We are looking for someone who:
• Demonstrates excellent subject knowledge and a passion for Mathematics.
• Has experience of teaching up to and including A Level Maths and Further Maths.
• Has experience of supporting pupils with university entrance examinations.
• Can engender an atmosphere within lessons, which is conducive to active learning and encourages pupils to learn collaboratively.
• Inspires and motivates pupils to strive for the best.
• Is committed to their own professional development.
• Embraces our Benedictine catholic ethos.
We can offer:
• A salary above the national scale.
• A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team.
• An inspiring, intellectually rewarding work environment.
• Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement
Closing date for applications:
Friday 16th March 2018, by 10am
Interviews will be held: Thursday 22nd March 2018
To Apply Please apply usingthe TES application below.
Please contact the recruitment email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you require further information after reading the application pack.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the DBS. We are an equal opportunities employer.
By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells.
Registered Charity Number: 1158507