HEAD OF MUSIC
• MPS/UPS (£27,596 to £43,348)
• Required September 2019
• Contract: Permanent
Middlesex Learning Partnership is a particularly successful Trust in West London. Our three academies occupy the very top positions in the Hillingdon League tables for outcomes. We are highly collaborative and committed to making a difference to the lives of young people. We have a strong sense of community where staff enjoy rewarding relationships with our conscientious and aspirational students.
At Barnhill our students have achieved academic outcomes in 2018 which place us well within the top 5% of the country with a progress 8 score of +0.66. We are moving rapidly towards our goal of becoming an Outstanding school.
We are looking to appoint an ambitious and enthusiastic Head of Music to join and strengthen our Performing Arts Curriculum Area.
All students study Music in Years 7 and 8 and is a popular option choice at KS4 where students currently study the Edexcel GCSE course. It is also a popular option choice at Key stage 5 with students choosing to study the Extended BTEC or the Diploma in Music and Music Technology. The Music department have their own practice rooms as well as state of the art technology for music production.
Key Stage 3 - Year 7 and 8
Music plays a huge role in the life of a Barnhill Student. All students study music in year 7 and 8. Their studies feature music from around the world, and involve the students singing, playing keyboard, drums and guitar and learning about the many kinds of music available to them. The students also have the opportunity to widen their horizons with the fabulous technology resources in the music department.
Throughout their key stage 3 experience, students are encouraged to take part in the many extra-curricular clubs we run, the twice termly Showcase concerts and the end of year School Production.
Key Stage 4 -Year 9, 10 and 11
We currently offer Edexcel GCSE music at Key Stage Four. We have previously run a BTEC course in music, a BTEC in Music technology, and a Vcert in Music technology. The decision as to which course we run is made on a yearly basis, dependent upon the interests and abilities of the students.
As a Performing Arts Department we aim to provide students with as many opportunities as possible to watch live performances and perform outside of the school environment. Therefore as a Music Department we offer many extra-curricular activities throughout the year.
Examples of these include:
- Regular Clubs specialising in the instruments our students play
- Trips to the theatre to watch bands/music/musicals
- Conference and curriculum specific trips for our GCSE and A Level students.
- Performances at Awards evenings, parents’ evenings and more.
- Performances from outside providers.
- Performing Arts Showcases run every half term.
Successful candidates will have:
- Enthusiasm and passion for teaching and developing young people
- An engaging and optimistic approach
- High expectations and a belief in the potential of young people to achieve.
In return we will offer you:
- Motivated, hard-working students
- High expectations of behaviour supported by established systems and protocols
- Bespoke, high quality professional development including the Barnhill Middle Leaders Programme and opportunities to take the NPQML, NPQSL and NPQH.
- Accelerated career opportunities for aspirational and talented staff
- An extensive well-being package
- Established partnerships with: Teach First; Challenge Partners; PiXL; London West Alliance
- Opportunities to work across the Trust in different phases.
To apply for this post please click the quick apply link
Closing date: Noon 23 April 2019
Barnhill Community High is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please note that Barnhill Community High reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.