Would you like to join us on our journey to become an outstanding school of first choice at the heart of our local community? Do you care enough to want to make a significant difference to the lives of our amazing students? If so, we would love to offer you the exciting opportunity to join our highly dedicated staff as an inspiring and highly motivated leader of Music. At The Dorcan Academy the Arts are valued extremely highly and we are committed to ensuring that Music remains an integral and essential part of our school curriculum. We aim to engage and inspire all students to develop a love of music and nurture their talent as musicians, thus increasing their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. Music currently sits within the Performing Arts Faculty, which also comprises Drama and Dance.
We are a rapidly improving school, as recognised by Ofsted in November 2018, with good leadership and management and an excellent behaviour policy. In our school students are ready to learn – we pride ourselves on being an ‘academy of opportunity’ for all with excellent relationships between staff and students. As a member of staff you will be highly valued and will be supported to flourish within the academy. Last year 100% of our students achieved a grade 9-5 in their Music GCSE which was an exceptional achievement given students’ starting points.
The successful candidate will have a great opportunity to build upon this success by raising standards even further, focusing on increasing the progress of all groups of students as well as enhancing the quality of teaching and learning within the department.
Although our examination results are improving year on year, we still have a way to go to achieve our ambitious targets. Every member of staff receives bespoke support and development through our in-house coaching programme as well as additional professional development opportunities to promote further progress and career enhancement. We are committed to challenging, supporting and developing staff and students to ‘Aspire to Greatness’ so that we become the best that we can be. In a recent survey 100% of staff said they were proud to be a member of staff at The Dorcan Academy with 96% stating that they enjoy working here. 96% said that they support the vision of the academy.
Although we don’t boast a shiny new building, we do have excellent facilities, including a spacious music suite, with a supportive, friendly school culture and ethos which is often commented upon by visitors. The Academy is committed to ensuring music is well resourced and highly regarded.
The Dorcan Academy is an 11-16 academy situated on the eastern edge of Swindon with a comprehensive, challenging and enriching curriculum and a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities. Our vision comprises 5 key outcomes:
1) Exceptional achievement for every student.
2) High quality teaching that inspires and engages minds through an exciting and creative curriculum.
3) An inclusive school where everyone is valued, cared for and nurtured in an extraordinary way.
4) Students stand out as model citizens, aspiring to make a difference to the lives of others through their exemplary behaviour and attitudes.
5) All stakeholders share a culture and vision to strive towards outstanding in all areas.
In addition, we promote five core values of Belonging, Purpose, Aspiration, Perseverance
and Achievement and the personal qualities of Justice, Honesty, Integrity, Confidence,
Responsibility, Independence and Respect.
We will offer you:
• A supportive and bespoke staff induction programme
• High quality professional development, including an additional £1000 Bursary to support your CPD if you are an Early Careers teacher (Years 2 – 4)
• Additional non-contact time if you are an Early careers teacher or NQT
• Unrivalled support from the leadership team
• Excellent specialist facilities and resources
• Committed staff who ‘go the extra mile’
• Motivated, enthusiastic students who are ready and eager to learn
• Cycle to work scheme
Closing Date: Monday 24 February 2020 at noon
Pay Scale: Main Pay Scale/UPS and TLR2B payment
Permanent Contract available from September 2020
N.B. Outstanding NQTs with the potential to take on the role following successful completion of the NQT year will be considered. July start available for suitable NQT.
The Dorcan Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.