Trusted for over 55 years and now a third generation education family, GEMS Education began in a single school room in Dubai. Today, we have the privilege of educating over 190,000 students from over 176 countries through GEMS owned and managed schools globally; over 270,000 students access resources through our services division; and we will impact 20 million by 2020 students through the initiatives of our Charity partner Varkey Foundation
About the School
GEMS Wellington Academy Al Khail is a Premium National Curriculum for England School, located in the rapidly expanding Dubai Hills development. The Primary section opened in September 2013 and Secondary opened in September 2014. This is an international world class school dedicated to fostering a passion for excellence in learning and in life. Children learn in a vibrant, inclusive and creative learning environment that encourages teamwork, critical thinking, independent inquiry and risk-taking. Our staff are recruited almost exclusively from the UK and are highly skilled and experienced in delivering the National Curriculum. Teaching is significantly enhanced through the use of technology, which is used predominantly by students to create and present new content. Innovation and creativity are actively encouraged and the learning programme is significantly enhanced by a rich and varied extra-curricular programme of over 100 activities, which emphasises our belief that students should be learning from the moment they arrive in school until they leave at the end of the day. We are an internationally minded school with students representing over 80 nationalities and are an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools. We are proud of our inclusive culture: our expectation of all students is that they strive to excel and make significant progress well beyond expectations commensurate to their starting point.
About the Role
We are recruiting a Head of Music to join the team from Sept 2018.
Duties will include:
- Responsibility for teaching and learning, student attainment and progress across the school
- Development of the music curriculum, schemes of Work, and the organisation of the delivery of the subject
- Providing exemplary leadership and direction to other members of the Department
- Undertaking a range of monitoring and evaluation activities in order to effectively track the progress and attainment of students
- Ensuring a consistently high standard of marking and feedback within the department
- Planning a diverse programme of concerts and musical events both formal and informal each year to challenge and display the work of choirs, orchestras, bands, and other ensembles and to give performing opportunities for all musicians. This should include School concerts, recitals and productions, whilst supporting occasional School related events (i.e. UAE National Day, International Day etc.)
- Fostering links with local and national music organisations.
- Encouraging participation in music competitions at all levels both in and outside of the School.
- Working in collaboration with GEMS Music Academy in providing a broad peripatetic programme, and the increased participation of our students within this.
- Managing and maintaining the specialist Music Equipment and classrooms, including the Music Technology suites and software.
A certified teaching qualification, such as B.Ed, PGCE, PGDE or equivalent is essential.
If you meet these criteria, are enthusiastic about teaching and learning and have the drive and passion to get the most from our students then we would welcome your application.
To apply for these positions please visit our Careers site; https://careers.gemseducation.com/gems/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=131052 and apply online (Ref: 1392). Please ensure you have uploaded an up-to-date CV, formal letter of application and recent photograph.
Please note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.