An exciting opportunity is available to become part of Morrison’s Academy’s Early Years education team. We are passionate about our pupils and want them to have the best start to their education. We are looking for a Teacher or an experienced Early Years Leader to help us develop and run our Nursery. Founded in 1860, Morrison’s Academy is Perthshire’s leading Independent Day School. We are a friendly, family-orientated school and provide quality education to approximately 500 pupils from ages 2 to18 years.
About the role
The post holder will help to develop and implement an indoor/ outdoor Nursery learning environment This is a new post in our Nursery and will provide a unique career opportunity at a sector-leading school. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a passion for Early Year Education, an understanding and appreciation of the importance of preparing pupils for a smooth transition into Primary education, as well as strong leadership and management skills.
You should either be GTC Scotland registered/eligible for registration or SSSC registered. Experience and an interest in Nature’s Pedagogy and Reggio Emilia approaches to Early Years Education would be ideal. You will have strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a team. You will be looking for a role that will stretch your capabilities and allow you to develop your skills and lead a Nursery team.
What we can offer you
A great team and working environment - working at Morrison’s Academy’s Nursery you will be part of a small team that is a key stepping stone for families commencing their children’s education. The very nature of your role will also make you an integral member of the team that helps to transition pupils into our Primary School. With over 120 staff members in the school you will have opportunities to work with a wide variety of inspiring colleagues across a range of activities, not to mention our lovely pupils and their families.
Career and development opportunities - we are committed to continuing professional development and supporting our teams in improving their skills and developing new ones. Couple this with all of the informal opportunities provided through this role you can rest assured that you will constantly grow and learn new skills.
A great location - the school is located in Crieff, an easy commute from the central belt, Perth and the surrounding rural communities. The school is located in the centre of this bustling market town and provides easy access to a good selection of local amenities. The purpose built Nursery building and gardens are set within the campus and afford incredible views of the local countryside.
Salary and a whole host of benefits - a competitive salary and benefits package is available for the right candidate, with pension schemes and some flexible benefits including discounted school fees and access to wrap around care services while you are working.
- Passionate about Early Level Education
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Hold a full driving licence
- Be GTCS registered/eligible for registration or SSSC registered
- Primary Teaching qualification
- Minimum of two years lower primary teaching experience; ideally Primary 1
- Be GTCS registered or be eligible for registration
- Experience and interest in Nature’s Pedagogy and how this underpins Early Years Education
- Interest in Reggio Emilia approaches to Early Years Education
- IT literate
As a Head of Nursery the principal tasks will be to:
- Lead the Nursery Team and work as a member of the Primary Team whilst establishing strong and effective relationships with the children, staff and parents.
- Demonstrate high standards of care and education; promoting high standards within the Nursery in respect of the environment, resources and experiences offered to children.
- Ensure that all children attending the Nursery receive rich and stimulating experiences appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Create and manage a caring, supportive, purposeful and stimulating environment which is conducive to children’s learning.
- Plan, prepare and deliver high quality, differentiated lessons and learning experiences across the Early Years curriculum and in line with the School’s strategic plan.
- Promote learning and celebrate achievement through stimulating and varied displays.
- Create and maintain a culture of self evaluation and reflective practice throughout the Nursery.
- Be part of a whole school team, actively involved in decision making on the preparation and development of policies and schemes of work, teaching materials, resources, methods of teaching and pastoral arrangements.
- Develop a close working relationship with the Primary 1 teacher and teach within lower Primary when necessary or as directed by the Primary Head.
- Have a working knowledge and understanding of current Scottish Office curriculum guidelines for nurseries and Curriculum for Excellence.
- Carry out administrative tasks ensuring the smooth running of the Nursery; this will include drawing up letters to parents, newsletters and collating statistics.
- Observe children accurately, record all assessments and observations and use these observations, in consultation with other staff, to plan appropriate learning experiences for the children.
- Build up the 'profiles' of the children in the Nursery School.
- Keep written records of each child and maintain records of attendance.
- Promote high standards of behaviour and discipline among the children, safeguarding their health and safety.
- Be able to contribute his/her own skills and interests in music, drama, movement, art, literature and environmental studies for the development of the children as appropriate.
- Be responsible for the children on organised outings including the planning, co-ordinating and arranging of all aspects of outings and visits to the nursery.
- Carry out short, medium and long term planning for the children and ensure all this is recorded and kept up to date in line with Perth & Kinross Council guidelines.
- To be responsible, along with the Head of Primary, for the standards and quality report and development plan for Perth & Kinross Council at the end of each session.
- Ensure that Nursery procedures and risk assessments are reviewed and implemented.
- Update the annual Care Commission profile once each session.
- Chair staff meetings in order to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the nursery school and to maintain minutes.
- Meet weekly with the Head of the Primary School and feedback necessary information to staff.
- Liaise with the Head of Finance with regards to budget allocation and be responsible for the Nursery budget.
- Participate in professional staff development opportunities within the school and/or by attendance at in-service courses and ensuring that all relevant certificates are valid and up-to-date (eg First Aid) and to comply with SSSC requirements.
- Have a sound knowledge of child development and be able to respond to and create exciting opportunities for children, taking into account their individual needs.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 2 - 18 years
Morrison’s Academy is a friendly, family-oriented school based in the bustling country town of Crieff, in the heart of rural Perthshire. Our young people are a delight to teach, and we are committed to investing in our staff with a generous CPD budge...