The British School, Alexandria (NOR 510) seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard working and talented teachers seeking to develop their teaching career in an international setting. You would teach music in Prep and Senior School as well as a few lessons of drama. You would also work with another teacher who teaches drama and liaise with Pre-Prep in relation to the teaching of music and manage our peripatetic music teachers and instrumental programme. You would share responsibility for leading whole school musical/drama productions and raising the profile of music and drama throughout the school.
The school is well resourced in terms of a fully equipped IT music suite with keyboards, drums and a range of other instruments. Currently we do not offer GCSE or A-level music or GCSE drama but we would be keen to do so in the future. We would also wish to continue the development of singing within the school.
The British School, Alexandria is a long established, high achieving and forward thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. It enjoys an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. It is recognised by the DfE and is an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a relatively low cost of living and a sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 60% of their salary and at the same time enjoy exploring Egypt. Although in the past Egypt has appeared in the media, you will find that living in Alexandria is in reality similar to living in any other big city with no particular security issues and a strong and stable government.
Please look at our website for further information about the school.
Honours degree related to Music / Performing Arts from a UK university or similar Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE
Experience of teaching Music at secondary level in either a British international school or in the UK
Satisfactory Police / DBS (formerly CRB) checks
Leadership / Management experience for example having a particular responsibility within a
department or school
2 year’ experience of teaching music and ideally some drama experience
A British citizen who has been educated in Britain and so has personal experience of the British education system.
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
* Very good tax free salary
* Free furnished quality accommodation (excluding utility bills) with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school (minimum 2 bedroom furnished apartment for single teachers and 3 bedroom family accommodation for families) in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria.
* Annual return flights to the UK for teacher, spouse and dependants
* Beginning and end of contract baggage allowance
* 3 free school places for dependent children
* Free health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependants
* 2 or 3 year initial international school teacher contract
* Small class sizes (typically 15 students in a class)
* Highly motivated students who want to learn
* Forward looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
* Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on responsibility
* British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for- profit school for children aged 3-18
* Vibrant north African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you would be interested in joining us then please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and to download an application form. Please email the completed application form together with a brief letter of application, of no more than two sides of A4, to email@example.com and a copy to Principal@bsalex.net.
The initial closing date is Tuesday 28 th November 2017 at 10am (UK time-GMT). In the case of receiving an exceptionally strong application prior to the closing date, we reserve the right to appoint earlier.
We intend to interview via Skype shortly after the initial closing date. If you have any questions or would like any further details, please do not hesitate to contact myself by email at Principal@bsalex.net.
Single teachers or married couples (with or without children) are welcome to apply.
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding.