GEMS International School Tropicana Metropark is located in the outskirts of the safe, modern and vibrant capital city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are a growing COBIS-member school, in our fourth academic year, and, to inspire expansion, we are looking for a resilient, motivational and ambitious Head of PE for August/September 2021.
What Can You Expect
• Our children are caring, respectful and love learning - you will spend your time teaching and nurturing them to be great people.
• Supportive families who are ready to work with you and take on advice. There are a currently a small number of classes within EYFS and we are looking for a confident, positive leader who enjoys working with parents to expand and mature the department.
• A British primary school system: a robust safeguarding system, Early Learning Goals, continuous provision, Jolly Phonics, Tapestry, purpose built EYFS block and playground, small class sizes, wide range of age appropriate resources for play based learning, mess, noise and fun, opportunity to develop a new EYFS team and environment, specialist colleague support in PE, Art, Music, Drama and languages, online learning (in the event of pandemic related school closure which can occur).
• Beyond the classroom, we work with students on enriching experiences and co-curricular activities – students from FS1 to Year 12 take part in activities to pursue their interests every day and have the chance to develop and explore new ones.
• Regular CPD from leading British and International via Cambridge Assessments, GEMS University (GEMSU) and other external providers.
• Invitations to contribute to school-life development, so if you are aspirational or if you have a wealth of expertise that you enjoy sharing, you will love the opportunities that our new campus and community offer.
• A professional and caring atmosphere – we have high expectations and your mental health is important to us too.
• A new school with experience – we have an individual identity, but benefit from organisation experience, procedural maturity and expert support advice.
• Travel – in normal circumstances, with regional GEMS sister schools and and through associations of international schools in South East Asia, we train, collaborate and take part in friendly competitions. We are a member of COBIS and AIMS.
• A rigorous safeguarding culture – GEMS International School is committed to safeguarding children and young people through safer recruitment practices. The school’s recruitment protocols adhere to the compliance requirements set for COBIS member schools and GEMS Education standards. Candidate references, one of which must be from the current head of school for teachers, may be checked and qualifications attested before interview – candidates should indicate if there is a concern with this at the point of application. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) or local police checks are required, together with a statement of medical fitness. Offers of employment are subject to candidates meeting the above requirements.
• Malaysia has responded efficiently to the global pandemic and cases remain significantly lower that in the UK; there have been no cases reported of COVID in school*. In the event of the school providing online learning due pandemic directed regional closure, the ability to use Zoom would be an advantage. *time of writing 10th February 2021
With more than fifty years of education experience, GEMS Education is committed to improving the quality of education worldwide. It is the leading K-12 private education operator in the world, educating more than 250,000 children from 151 different nationalities.
The GEMS Values – care, excellence, one team and always learning - set the standard that we expect from all GEMS people – our students, our families and of course our employees. We are looking for a candidate that embodies these values to join our growing and talented team.
All positions attract an excellent package*:
• Competitive salary
• Visa costs for employee covered and assistance for dependent visa processing
• One-off relocation allowance provided to move to Malaysia
• Up to 9 nights hotel stay to support house-hunting and linked to a housing agent prior to relocation to Malaysia. Candidates arriving during the pandemic have been required to spend 7 days in mandatory quarantine in a suitable hotel on arrival.
• 100% tuition fee concession for two children studying in the school for expatriate teachers
• Medical coverage for employees, spouse and one child, who reside in Malaysia
• Annual round-trip air ticket to home airport for employee, spouse and one child per year
*Terms and conditions apply
Subang Jaya, Malaysia is 20km away from central Kuala Lumpur, with a drive time of between 15 to 30 minutes. It is also only minutes away from Petaling Jaya, a KL satellite with big city attractions, endless restaurants, evening entertainment, theme parks, malls, nature walks and parks. Subang's domestic and international airport is located only 10km from campus and offer links to destinations such a Singapore and tropical island Langkawi.
Please apply through the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Provide a supporting statement indicating why you would be a suitable candidate for the role detailing:
- your classroom and leadership experience; outlining of whole school impact and projects would be advantageous
- an explanation of what makes outstanding learning
- your vision for a PE department in terms of environment, childhood experience and family partnerships
- ideas for maintaining the high profile of the PE Department internally, within the community and across the district
Qualified teacher status is essential.
Deadline for applications: Friday 29th January 2021 at 11:59pm (KL Time, GMT +8).
The school will interview candidates of particular interest on receipt of applications and reserves the right to make offers of employment prior to the application deadline; prompt replies are encouraged as a strong field of applicants is anticipated.
Shortlisting and interview scheduling: will commence from 24th February 2021
Interviews (via video-call): commencing after 1st March 2021
Suitable candidates who are currently based in Malaysia may be invited to face-to-face interviews if permitted by health guidelines and movement control at the time.
GEMS International School, Tropicana Metropark
GEMS International School Tropicana Metropark Malaysia
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
GEMS Education Malaysia is an international education company that owns and operates high performing schools. It also offers consulting services to both the public and private sectors. For 50 years, GEMS Education has provided high quality education ...