Oporto British School, established in 1894, is the oldest British School in continental Europe. Located in the beautiful suburb of Foz, close to the mouth of the River Douro, and in easy reach of downtown Porto, the school has approximately 250 pupils in its Primary School. The Primary school encompasses EYFS (Nursery, Reception) and Years 1 to 6, offering The English EYFS curriculum and the Cambridge Primary Programme.
The school is seeking a measured, dynamic and forward-looking leader with a passion for education to take the school on in its next phase of development.
The Head of Primary reports directly to the Headmaster and is a member of the Senior Leadership Team. The Head of Primary, working closely with the Head of Secondary and with the Primary Extended Leadership Team, will seek to promote long-term continuity of approach, educational philosophy and expectation, in line with the school’s mission and vision. Correspondingly, the Head of Primary is expected to implement academic programmes and to monitor staff and student performance.
The ideal candidate should:
• be resilient and resourceful and have a strong commitment to high standards of teaching and learning;
• be able to lead the continued development of the curriculum from Years 1 to 6 and oversee the work of the EYFS Coordinator;
• be highly motivated and an excellent classroom practitioner, with the ability to inspire and engage students;
• be enthusiastic, energetic and committed to children of all abilities;
• be highly ICT literate and able to contribute to the strategic development of technology within the school;
• be able to offer one or more extra-curricular activities;
• be able to work with a diverse and multicultural group of teachers with a range of pedagogical experience from an array of international perspectives;
• be able to inspire others and lead by example and to develop highly effective teams.
• have excellent listening skills and be able to communicate and connect with parents, teachers and students and be able to develop and maintain trust and respect in all parts of our community.
Key responsibilities will include:
• To assist the Headmaster in school self-review, evaluation and quality assurance in the effective planning and management of school resources to secure improvements.
• To play a significant role in setting aims and objectives for the Primary Section while participating in the development of the School Strategic Plan, together with the Headmaster and other senior staff.
• To coordinate all aspects of the day-to-day administration and organization of the Primary School.
• To lead the raising of the quality of teaching and learning by monitoring pupils’ work and teachers’ planning and teaching.
• To lead in raising the quality of teaching and learning by making a significant contribution to the school’s continuing professional development programme, delivering CPD and working with individuals and teams in a variety of professional development activities.
• To inspire, motivate and influence staff and pupils, taking a leading role in maintaining the highest standards of teaching and learning and behaviour management.
• To take a leading role in the development of the educational use of technology within the School.
• To be an excellent role model for all members of staff and for pupils in all aspects of school life.
• An enthusiastic learning community of pupils, teachers, parents and Board members, who are all dedicated to maximizing student achievement for each child, and to create positive learning opportunities within and beyond the classroom.
• Working within a team of highly driven and supportive colleagues.
• Contract is initially for three years and includes an attractive remuneration package for international schools in Portugal.
• Assistance with relocation, subsidized places at the school for accompanying children, and excellent professional development opportunities.
How to apply:
Please complete the school's application form, which can be found at http://www.obs.edu.pt/en/contact-us/work-with-us/ and send together with a statement of educational philosophy and a covering letter to email@example.com by 20th November 2020. Initial interviews will be held by video conference with shortlisted candidates visiting the school in December or having extended virtual visits and interviews.
The contract will be for three years initially with the possibility of mutual extension.
Oporto British School is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and all applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and DBS.
Oporto British School is an Equal Opportunities employer.
Oporto British School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
Oporto British School is a mixed, non-selective, non-denominational independent, international, bi-lingual, all-through school in Portugal, serving students from the age of 3-18. The all-through school is situated in Proto.
Oporto British School open...