Island School Website: http://island.edu.hk Island School Sha Tin Wai
Area 5A, Pok Hong Estate, Shatin, New Territories (Near Shatin Wai MTR station)
School Number: (852) 2524 7135 | Fax: (852) 2840 1673
Island School Tai Wai
Sun Chui Estate, Shatin, New Territories (Near Tai Wai MTR station)
School Number: (852) 2524 7135 | Fax: (852) 2167 6356
Secondary School with 1,200 students.
Head of Science (TLR 1) - Starting Jan or Aug 2019
Island School is seeking to appoint an outstanding leader to oversee the Science curriculum. This is a challenging role that would suit an experienced and passionate leader in this field. The role will include leading an extensive and varied Science programme. In the Senior Phase we offer IB Biology, Chemistry and Physics. From January 2019 we will be implementing the IB’s MYP programme into Year 7 and 8 while Years 9 to 11 follow our own Island Futures programme.
The description below is layered on top of a mainscale teachers’ Job Description. All TLR responsibility holders have a teaching responsibility.
The roles and responsibilities of the Head of Science are:
• Leading the Curriculum Area in developing and improving teaching and learning according to The Learning Journey.
• Supporting student development and achievement within the Curriculum Area.
• Leading, developing and supporting a productive, positive and effective team of staff.
• Monitoring and evaluating the quality of teaching and learning at all levels within the Curriculum Area according to agreed school expectations.
• Developing and evaluating the vision, priorities and goals for the Curriculum Area Plan to support the School Development Plan, implementing this plan.
• Being aware of the particular goals of all programmes including IB Diploma, Applied learning Pathway, Island Futures and the MYP. Ensuring the department works towards these goals.
• Managing Professional Reflection and Development (PRD) for the Curriculum Area, initiating conversations as required.
• Communicating effectively and efficiently within the Curriculum Area and with others in the school and its community.
• Developing a meeting structure for the Curriculum Area. Running effective meetings and providing agendas and minutes of these meetings.
• Developing and implementing agreed school policies, actively promoting a whole school vision.
• Coherent development of the Curriculum Area.
• All staff performing at a high level and/or underperformance is addressed, evidenced through Performance Management data.
• Standards are high and judgements are based on evidence of value-added data.
• Contribution across the Foundation enriches the learning community, measured by involvement in innovation networks and initiatives.
• Accountable to the Principal and the School Council.
Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in any subjects with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent
• A good teacher with very good relationships with students.
• Committed to the highest expectations of students and their learning.
• Previous school leadership experience.
• Able to inspire and motivate staff.
• High personal standards of meeting expectations, organization, paperwork, etc.
• Able to communicate appropriately.
• Able to use data appropriately.
• Able to plan efficiently and manage change.
• Able to develop a coherent, well motivated, effective and efficient team.
• Able to do the hard thing when necessary.
• Able to coach colleagues through the Performance Management process.
• Able to demonstrate a commitment to CPD.
• Able to work with colleagues in the Teaching and Learning Group to develop collaborative solutions.
• Experience of the IB’s Diploma and MYP Programme
• International School Experience
Closing Date: 30 Sep 2018 For enquiries, please contact Betty Tsu at +852 2524-7135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided immediately upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.