St. Nicholas School
A Unique Educational Adventure
St. Nicholas School is located in Pinheiros, a cosmopolitan, attractive and busy part of São Paulo. The school is a vibrant, stimulating and happy multi-cultural environment for 680 pupils from 18 months to 18 years old and coming from all parts of the globe. International students make up a large percentage of the overall school population and International mindedness is promoted and celebrated. The school provides a balanced, challenging and 21st Century relevant education for its diverse body of students, most of whom are studying in English as an additional language. Technology plays an increasingly important role in education and the students are encouraged to bring and use their devices for learning.
Through an inquiry based international education, St Nicholas School
develops responsible, confident and caring citizens of an ever-changing world.
By setting high academic standards and celebrating cultural diversity, we nurture
individual talents and embrace a shared passion for learning.
Head of the Secondary School Learning Community
St. Nicholas School is seeking to appoint a Head of the Secondary School Learning Community to be responsible for the daily management of the community including pedagogical leadership, executive decision-making and budgeting. This is a new role at the school. The Secondary section is a successful and friendly community, which currently serves 260 students between years 7 and 12. In 2016 37 students graduated from Year 12, all obtained an IB diploma, 35 a bilingual diploma, the average score was over 33 and 13 students achieved 35 points or more and 3 achieved over 40 points. Languages are one perceived strength and the school currently offers Group One languages in English, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish. Sustainable leadership following a distributive model is valued. There are 30 teachers in the section and all are employed full time. The IB learner profile is a reference point for the learning throughout the St Nicholas School Learning Community and as such, supports collaboration, communication and reflective practice within the pedagogical leadership team.
Applicants will enjoy working in this highly stimulating and dynamic multi lingual international environment. Recent experience of teaching IB Diploma or MYP is highly advantageous. Candidates should commit to the IB Philosophy and be willing to contribute to Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essays, CAS. The Head of the Secondary Learning Community counts on the support of a Deputy Head, and a robust leadership structure for the IB Diploma years (Years 11 and 12).
More information about Nicholas School can be found at www.stnicholas.com.br www.facebook.com/st.nicholas.sp and https://twitter.com/stnickssaopaulo
Candidates are expected to have:
- A university degree and a related teaching qualification. A master's degree is welcome but not essential. Evidence of recent professional learning is required
- An internationally recognised teaching qualification and three years’ teaching experience
- Recent experience in a leadership position
- An interest in 21st Century pedagogy and also an understanding of how millennials learn. (students and teachers)
- A commitment to inquiry based learning, international mindedness and IB teaching philosophy (www.ibo.org)
- A positive and optimistic attitude to students, learning and education
- Additional qualities to add to the school community
For expatriate teachers St. Nicholas offers a two-year contract, which are renewable by mutual consent and include:
- A competitive salary paid in Reais
- An overseas allowance based on monthly sterling exchange rates
- Private medical plan
- Return flights at the beginning and end of the contract
- Visa expenses
- Professional development opportunities
- An end of contract gratuity
- And fantastic students to work with
Job descriptions and further information are available on the website www.stnicholas.com.br and the LAHC website www.lahc.net.
Letters of application should be addressed to the Head Teacher and accompanied by a curriculum vitae and the names of two referees. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for application is 11th December 2016. Skype interviews will be held on the following week. Face to face interviews will take place in early January if required.