Aga Khan Education Services (AKES) is one of the largest private educational networks in the developing world, currently operating over 200 pre-schools to higher secondary schools across Asia and Africa. For more information, visit www.agakhanschools.org
AKES operates under a regional umbrella in East Africa, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. It currently has 18 schools in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda catering to close to 7,200 students and employing over 500 teachers. Established in 1970, the Aga Khan Academy Nairobi is a private, co-educational school with facilities located in the Parklands suburb of Nairobi. The Aga Khan Academy, a leading IB school in Africa, was authorized to offer the IB-PYP curriculum in the Junior School in 2009.
- The Head Teacher will be responsible for the pedagogical and administrative management of the Aga Khan Junior Academy in Nairobi for provision of high quality education, and support the school’s positioning as an IB World School of Excellence in Nairobi and as an integral part of the Academy.
- S/he will drive the academic and extra-curricular programmes of the school, provide leadership for the students and staff, monitor performance against targets and quality indicators, and oversee day-to-day operations of the school. Key responsibilities include the following:
- In consultation with the AKES,K Leadership team, develop annual objectives, a school development plan and quality indicators that ensure delivery of relevant, high quality education
- monitor school, staff and student performance, conduct a school self-evaluation and provide senior leaders with regular reports on progress achieved against strategic and operational goals
- drive the academic, sports and after school activities of the school in accordance with best educational practice
- strengthen the implementation and continued performance and success of the IBO-PYP curriculum and monitor the PYP action plan
- ensure that appropriate systems are in place to meet and maintain authorization requirements for the IBO
- develop and foster a school ethos of pluralism, discipline, achievement and ethics ensuring school values are promoted and inculcated in the school community
- select and appoint staff in collaboration with the Human Resources Manager, and ensure their effective deployment, orientation, supervision, performance management and professional development
- ensure systems are in place for tracking students’ progress and identify areas where students need additional support to ensure “no child is left behind”.
- ensure that the external examinations are held according to the regulations of the various examining bodies
- manage the budget, resources and assets of the school, and ensure that all school funds are appropriately allocated and administered
- ensure the buildings, grounds and classrooms are well-maintained and provide a conducive and professional environment for learning
- create and maintain a successful partnership with parents
- develop positive relationships with Heads of the Senior and Nursery schools to foster the development of a cohesive Aga Khan educational system in Nairobi, as well as with Heads of other AKES schools to share knowledge, practices and resources.
- A post-graduate degree in Education from an accredited university, with qualifications in IB Primary Years Programme Teaching
- at least five years’ experience in international curriculum schools, including experience in the International Baccalaureate system and at least two years as head of a primary school
- good understanding of, and experience in, curriculum management, design, implementation and evaluation
- understanding of 21st century education practices, strategies for raising students’ achievement and effective frameworks for school improvement planning and self-evaluation
- proven ability to build, manage and develop teams
- the ability to establish and sustain strong relationships with parents, students, teaching and non-teaching staff, alumni and other stakeholders
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- passionate about delivering high quality services to children and their families
- experience in the developing world and in Africa will be highly desirable.