Davy College Cajamarca (Peru) has retained the services of Teacherhorizons to lead the search for a motivational, visionary and inspiring Headteacher to join their prestigious international school to start in August 2017, or potentially earlier.
This is a wonderful opportunity to lead an interesting and fantastically resourced school in one of the most beautiful and unique parts of the world through the next phase of it’s growth and development.
In the past five years Teacherhorizons have placed a number of teachers at Davy College Cajamarca, and their feedback has been resoundingly positive.
About the School
Davy College is a bilingual school which provides an international education that is balanced and demanding. Our mission is to empower students to become active and responsible citizens locally and globally during their lifetime.
Founded in 1995, Davy College is located in the Andes of northern Peru at an altitude of 2,750 meters. It’s name honours Sir Humphry Davy, who is the inventor of one of the first safety lamps for miners - emphasizing the importance of the mining industry for the economy of the city and region of Cajamarca. The students are mostly Peruvians and depending on the needs of the working population, the school also educates students from other countries.
The school has a model of bilingual education which recognizes the importance of the host nation’s mother tongue - Spanish. English is the main language in the Early Years and Primary sections. The school began to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program began in 2001. This prestigious pre-university program prepares our students to enter the best universities in Peru and around the world.
It is one of the school’s expectations that the students have very good levels of achievement in Spanish and English. Davy College helps all students achieve oral and written fluency in both languages. It is our belief that a culture of bilingualism provides intellectual and economic advantages in the global community that awaits them after graduation.
The infrastructure of Davy College is nothing less than impressive. Sports venues are excellent and numerous - having both wide, open fields as well as covered facilities in a campus of 65,000 m2. The school also boasts a spectacular gym that is perfect for sports games and school dances. The library was built for purpose and has more than 40,000 volumes, divided into sections for Primary and Secondary levels.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced and successful senior leader who is willing to give a long term commitment to Davy College. The successful candidate will work closely with a supportive board and senior leadership team to lead the school through its next phase of development. He or she will also be expected to increase student numbers and enhance the school´s reputation for academic excellence, high standards and impressive pastoral care.
About the city of Cajamarca
The city of Cajamarca sits in the valley of the Mashcon river in the northern Andes region of Peru. It is the capital city of the Cajamarca region, and it is located at an elevation of 2,750 metres. The city was founded by the Incas around 1450, and was later settled by the Spanish in 1532. Nowadays, the city has a combination of historical buildings, spectacular natural views and modernity.
This whole region of South America has a fascinating and extensive history dating back more than 2,000 years. Cajamarca is an important agricultural centre in Peru, and the nearby Gold mine is the source of much of the region’s wealth. It also provides many of the students who attend this school, as the mine is a hugely significant employer in the Cajamarca region.
Cajamarca has a subtropical climate with fairly stable, consistent temperatures year-round. Daily average temperatures are around 22C, with January being the warmest month. The area is Excellent for outdoor activities.
The school have indicated that the ideal candidate for this role will have:
- An impressive track-record of senior leadership in a UK school or a British international school overseas, preferably one which follows the International Baccalaureate Primary Years and Diploma Programmes.
- Significant leadership experience in a similar role, with deep knowledge of contemporary educational issues.
- The ability to lead, motivate and inspire in a workplace which is predominantly staffed by local teachers.
- A solid understanding of the complexities and opportunities of leading a school from Early Years right through to the Sixth form level (KG - Grade 12).
- A mature and incisive grasp of leadership issues including the management of change and the ability to work with - and lead - the Heads of the two sections of the school.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrate cultural awareness.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience and a sound working knowledge of all aspects of IT.
- Significant strategic planning experience.
- Experience of developing and implementing rigorous quality assurance measures, including performance management systems and the associated processes for evaluating teacher effectiveness.
- Acute financial management skills, with a track record of successful collaboration with a Business Manager.
- An established track record of working successfully with a Board of Governors.
Experience of living and working in Latin America and/or knowing Spanish is highly desirable, but not essential. Additionally, experience of working in a non-profit school environment would also be advantageous.
To apply for this position:
- Sign up to Teacherhorizons, create a profile and upload your most recent CV. (This process is free of charge and takes no more than 10 minutes.) Please click here to create your free profile: www.teacherhorizons.com .
- Once you have registered with Teacherhorizons, please email Daniel Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details of the school, position and the application process.
Initial interviews will be carried out via Skype. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard anything from Teacherhorizons within two weeks, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful at this time.
The application deadline is Sunday 14th May 2017 – but early applications are strongly recommended as interviews will be taking place on an ongoing basis.