Catch22 Multi Academies Trust is looking for a Headteacher to lead our new school. The Austen Academy is a Special Free School for learners aged 4 to 16-years-old and who have an EHCP specifying ASD & SCN as the primary need. We provide placements for young people in Hampshire. The Academy is due to open its purpose-built building in January 2021. There will be one class of students accommodated at another site from September 2020.
You will be an exceptional professional helping us deliver an outstanding ASD/SCN provision covering primary and secondary aged learners at our academy Free School in Basingstoke.
You will have a desire to make an individual difference, this is a fantastic challenge that will see you planning, overseeing and delivering a specialised service. As well as taking a personal interest and making an in-depth contribution to each pupil’s life and outlook, you will actively contribute to the education provision of the Trust as a whole.
Your focus will be on the progression each young person makes in terms of managing their behaviour, their academic ability, their ability to engage in the community and, eventually, their ability to live an independent life through employment and further education.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with Catch22 central services, contractors and the EFA/DfE to ensure that premises are fit for purpose prior to opening.
- Participating in consultation and marketing activities with key stakeholders.
- Contributing to the development of school documentation including policies and education planning.
- Developing an induction programme and activities.
- Assisting fully with the free schools process including preparation work, checkpoint meetings, pre-opening Ofsted visit and readiness to open meeting where required.
For full details on the job, please see the job description.
The Ideal candidate
You will need to keep up to date with recent developments in education pedagogy, including new learning and teaching methods and the new OfSTED framework. You will be enthusiastic about exploring the full potential of Special school provision – with an understanding of the risks that exist for vulnerable and complex young people and their families and a passion for achieving positive outcomes.
Your own experiences should include having experience of leading and managing whole school change; making a demonstrable impact on people and performance through effective performance management procedures. We will also expect you to be able to develop relevant management information & quality systems and to have experience of financial planning, managing budgets and achieving value for money.
- A relevant qualification in education or equivalent significant operational experience in a relevant specialist education area.
- Experience of working in partnership with commissioners to deliver high-quality services.
- Knowledge of schools quality frameworks and Ofsted.
- Knowledge of the statutory requirements and legislation relating to school leadership and management including safer recruitment, safeguarding, data protection and health and safety.
- Understanding of the curriculum delivery for core subjects and vocational learning.
- For a full list of criteria, please see the Person Specification
Salary: L15 - L20 £57,985 - £65,560
Deadline for applications is Monday 6th January but we may call you before this time to discuss the role with you.
Catch22 MAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post. Any offer of employment will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.