Our new headteacher will join St Georges at an exciting time for the school and will play a pivotal role in helping our smooth integration and effective collaboration within the Bath & Wells Multi Academy Trust, which we joined on 1 September 2016. Supported by an enthusiastic staff team and a committed governing body, with wider support from our ecumenical partners, parents and local community, our new head will be in a position to consolidate and build on the high standards that we aim for in all areas of school life.
About our school:
- We are a strong school community with a distinctively Christian ethos. We strive to achieve academic excellence, but we are also committed to retaining our clear focus on the development of the whole child – personally, socially, emotionally, morally, spiritually, culturally and physically - and everyone is encouraged to fulfil their individual potential.
- St Georges is a partnership between the Church of England, the Methodist Church and the Baptist Church, and its Christian vision and values lie at the heart of all that we do.
- The school has 210 pupils (with an additional 26 children in the nursery) and enjoys a high reputation in the local community, as a result of which it has remained consistently over-subscribed.
- Our most recent SIAMS inspection (February 2016) praised the school for its caring ethos and for its contribution to the social, moral, spiritual and cultural development of pupils.
- Our two most recent OFSTED inspections (March 2014 and May 2016) judged the school to require improvement, based on achievement at the end of KS2. School leaders and staff have worked cohesively and energetically to raise attainment and achievement, and our May 2016 OFSTED report recognised that ‘senior and middle leaders have demonstrated that they have the capacity to improve the school’.
- Our strong KS2 SATs results in July 2016 were significantly above national, demonstrating that the hard work and focused efforts of everyone in the school are beginning to deliver the desired results in terms of pupil attainment and achievement. We are proud of our school and the work we have done over the years to drive up standards; however, the school’s leadership team, staff and governors are not complacent, and these efforts are continuing apace.
We are therefore looking for a skilled and experienced school leader who:
- Can demonstrate the ability to achieve improvement and will consolidate and build on the progress made within the school, rapidly moving St Georges to ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’.
- Will achieve with staff the highest standards of teaching, learning and achievement and the development of the whole child.
- Will provide spiritual leadership within the school, upholding our distinctive Christian ethos so that it continues to shine through all that we do.
- Will sustain the high morale that exists within the school, and the strong motivation and cohesion of staff and pupils.
We can offer you:
- A strong school community with a distinctively Christian ethos and a clear focus on children as individuals.
- A happy and uplifting school, where pupils, staff and governors enjoy working together and where everyone is encouraged to achieve their individual potential.
- Friendly, happy, motivated pupils who enjoy coming to school, behave well and are keen to learn.
- Dedicated staff who work energetically and cohesively to sustain the school improvement journey, enthusiastically embracing new ideas and opportunities to develop their professional skills.
- Excellent relationships between pupils and staff and between staff and governors, based on high levels of mutual respect, care and responsibility.
- The support and commitment of governors, parents and our ecumenical partners.
A well-resourced school with state-of-the-art accommodation, providing a stimulating learning environment.
- St Georges is one of seven Bath & Wells MAT schools that currently make up the BWMAT North Somerset hub (there are three hubs across the BWMAT: North Somerset, Taunton and South Somerset). Schools work collaboratively within their hubs for locally identified and driven professional development and collaborative school improvement. In the future, headteachers from North Somerset BWMAT schools will be invited to apply to additionally take on the role of hub lead for the North Somerset hub.
Further information and visits: We warmly welcome potential applicants to visit the school. To arrange a visit or request an information pack, please contact Donna Brewer (Business Manager) by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on Thursday 5 January 2017
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to satisfactory references and an enhanced DBS check.
St Georges Church School,
Pastures Avenue, St Georges,
Weston-super-Mare, BS22 7SA
Tel: 01934 426901 / Fax: 01934 426876