Group 5 School for 92 pupils aged 4 to 11
Can you lead our school through an exciting period of growth?
The Dales School is an outstanding age 4-11 special school at an exciting time in its development. In September 2018, we will open an annex to our existing provision which will be referred to as ‘Ashdale’. This means our pupil numbers increase by over 50% to 140 place provision, spread across two sites.
Present provision is focused on the needs of children whose needs are identified as: Social, Emotional and Mental Health( SEMH); Autistic Spectrum Condition, and; other complex needs. Northumberland County Council have recognised the need to address a gap in provision for those children with SEMH needs who respond with violence and aggression, including those who may be identified as presenting behaviours which display ‘Callous and unemotional Traits’ (CUTs). It is proposed that this will be the core purpose of provision at Ashdale.
Ashdale will provide, with a therapeutic ethos, for those children who present with significant Mental Health Issues. This is seen a s ground-breaking venture which, in its planning and provision, will see education and health work together to provide individual programmes intended to allow these children to engage with learning opportunity through improved social and emotional interaction. Further into the future, there are plans for a further phase of development of provision into key stage 3 and 4.
The Dales School, is a lead school within a Teaching School Alliance of 12 schools including: Specialist; Mainstream primary and secondary; Academy and maintained; Catholic sector, and the Pupil Referral Unit for Northumberland. The school also has extensive international links.
In addition, the school has, over the last 15 years, completed a number of significant projects related to improvement of teaching for children who have SEND. These Comenius and Erasmus projects, funded by British Council, have concentrated on ‘Inclusion’, ‘Behaviour management’, and ‘Effective Communication’, for example. We are presently committed to 2 projects involving 10 other countries and schools, with the foci of ‘ICT in school’ and, ‘The Creative Curriculum’.
Owing to the planned retirement of the existing Head Teacher, we are now seeking to appoint an exceptional, dynamic Head Teacher to lead us through an exciting period of growth and development, as we make the most of our existing provision and expertise and, prepare to grow in size.
If you want to lead an extremely strong team and shape the future of an ambitious, rapidly growing SEND school in a split-site school, including a newly refurbished facility, then this is the perfect opportunity.
Our aim is that every pupil learns the skills and develops the confidence needed to become a valued, integrated and independent member of their community.
We are looking for a Head Teacher who has:
- The drive, vision, ambition and energy to achieve excellence for all our pupils.
- A passion to provide the best possible learning and teaching, across our Creative curriculum.
- Proven leadership qualities and the ability to challenge, inspire and motivate colleagues through change.
- A proven record as an imaginative, innovative, resourceful and decisive leader.
- An understanding of the current educational climate with regard to sustainability, academisation and school-to-school support, and a willingness to continuously explore all future options for the school.
- A knowledge of how to meet the educational, social and emotional needs of pupils with a range of special educational needs and disabilities including autism.
In return, we offer:
- A strong team of enthusiastic, high-performing and dedicated staff.
- An active Governing Body with an experienced Chair and supportive, engaged parents.
- Extensive opportunities for continuous professional development in line with the duties of the post.
Visits to the school are warmly welcomed and encouraged, by arrangement, on either the 17th or 19th January 2018.
The Dales School is committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure will be required for this post.
Application forms and further details obtainable by downloading an applicant's pack and applying online at https://www.tes.com/jobs/employer/-1059843
Completed forms must be submitted by noon on Friday 26 January 2018
NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY COUNCIL
The Dales School
Cowpen Road, Blyth,