Hermitage Primary School
Vaughan Way, London E1W 2PT
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Group 2 (rising to Grp 3) school - NOR - 280 (rising to 350+)
Hermitage is a vibrant, diverse and welcoming primary school located near St Katharine’s Dock in Wapping, judged ‘Good’ by Ofsted in 2014 and 2018. Our children come from a wide variety of backgrounds, reflecting the borough’s cultural and economic diversity. Using a child-centred approach, we aim to ensure that every child reaches their highest possible level of achievement in a stimulating learning environment where they are happy, safe, enjoy coming to school and enjoy their learning. The choice not to have a uniform and the use of first names throughout Hermitage embodies our view of relationships being mutual, not hierarchical. Hermitage has a strong local reputation for its inclusive practice and SEND provision. We are passionate about equalities, identity and diversity.
Tower Hamlets Local Authority recently selected Hermitage to become the first mainstream primary school in the borough with a dedicated Alternative Resource Provision for high functioning autistic children. The ARP will provide additional support for 12 children. This will enable Hermitage to offer a unique combined mainstream curriculum with specialist smaller group sessions run by highly trained staff in a well-resourced unit. The new Headteacher post will oversee the development of the ARP and support the SENCO in this vital provision for the Tower Hamlets community.
The Local Authority have also confirmed their intention to expand the school to two forms of entry, reducing the need for mixed age classes, in line with Local Authority Policy.
- fantastic children, confident, happy and well behaved
- a friendly and supportive ethos which celebrates its multicultural and inclusive nature
- a team of dynamic and dedicated teachers, who respond well to positive, distributive leadership and who are keen to maintain a culture of improvement
- high standards of learning and teaching
- a commitment to extra-curriculum provision involving the creative arts and physical education
- a strong and supportive governing body and Local Authority
We are looking to appoint an inspirational leader to build on the strengths of the school and to make sure that we continue to achieve the best outcomes for every child going forward, drawing on the expertise of all its community members. We are seeking an outward looking leader who will continue to promote innovation and a progressive approach to learning and teaching.
Our new Headteacher will:
- be passionate about children’s learning and keen to see all children inspired to succeed
- have vision, commitment and high expectation, leading by example
- be outstanding at motivating and managing staff and creating links with the local community
- enjoy shaping and delivering a broad, balanced, innovative and creative curriculum
In short, our school is looking for a dynamic, personable leader to continue this community school's exciting journey as it evolves and develops.
We look forward to meeting you!
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on 9th February 2021
Interview date: as soon after February half-term as Covid restrictions allow
Due to Covid-19 restrictions and procedures:
- a virtual visit is available at https://www.hermitage.towerhamlets.sch.uk/Virtual-School-Tour/
- a conversation can be arranged with the current Headteacher by contacting Hermitage’s Office Manager, Tanya Matin by email at email@example.com
- visits will resume when Covid-19 restrictions allow and are strongly encouraged for those shortlisted.
If you have any questions or would like to have an informal chat with our recruitment adviser, please call Andrew Best on 07917 080201.
We are committed to ensuring equality and diversity is central to the operation of our school through the staff we employ and the provision that we make.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
Hermitage Primary School
- Mainstream school with state - community funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 11 years
Hermitage Primary School is situated near St Katharine Docks, the River Thames and the Tower of London. This small and friendly community school caters for children aged 3 to 11 years. It has the capacity to take up to 360 pupils. The school welcomes...