Abbey College Cambridge is one of the best sixth form colleges for international students in the UK. We specialise in helping students from across the world achieve the personal, social and academic growth needed to succeed at the UK’s best universities.
The House Masters / Mistresses (HSMs) have responsibility for the development of all areas of the House and for the continual improvement in the academic progress and the pastoral welfare of the students.
You will work together with the Head of Houses (HoHs), tutors, and other key staff to monitor the students, ensuring that they fulfil their potential and develop into young people able to act as role models in all areas of Abbey College Cambridge.
You will lead the tutor team to ensure the students are given full support in their academic, personal and extracurricular development.
As a senior member of staff you will contribute to the overall leadership and management of the Abbey College Cambridge and be active in promoting its aims and supporting an ethos that encourages achievement and high standards for all students.
You will also have teaching responsibilities in their subject area.
Your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
• Having overall responsibility for the academic progress, discipline, personal development and welfare of members of your house.
• Staying informed of the developments and priorities in KS4 and Post 16 education and developing the Abbey College Cambridge vision.
• Leading and managing a team of tutors, holding regular meetings to develop initiatives and to discuss academic, pastoral and general issues.
• Liaising with tutors, HoH, Heads of Department, subject teachers, SENCO and matron as required, including individual students and/or their parents, guardians and agents as appropriate.
• You will work with the Head of UCAS and Head of Pre-Degree Diploma to ensure all UCAS applications are of the highest quality and that students are fully informed before committing to their programme of study.
• For the classes allocated to you, you will be responsible, for the complete, sufficiently detailed and timely delivery of the subject syllabus and any relevant coursework.
Qualifications and Experience
You will hold qualified teacher status or equivalent, have a track record of outstanding teaching, have suitable subject knowledge and the ability to demonstrate a commitment to Every Child Matters, Safeguarding, pastoral care and promotion of high standards of positive behaviour. You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• 50 days annual leave
• Employee assistance programme
• Sports groups and free on site gym facilities
• Alpha Plus Group personal pension plan
• Season ticket train travel discount and loans
• Cycle to work scheme
• Discounted school fees
• Language classes
• Regular social events
• Discounted beauty treatment
Alpha Plus Group (APG)
Abbey College Cambridge is a constituent college of the Abbey DLD Group of Colleges, which is in turn part of the Alpha Plus Group.
APG is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as an employee of APG you will be expected to share this commitment. The protection of our students’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
How to Apply
Please visit read our Applicant Information Pack for full details about the position and visit our recruitment website to apply. Please enclose your CV and a covering statement detailing why you think you have the necessary skills to be successful in this position.
Abbey College Cambridge
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 14 - 21 years
Abbey College Cambridge is an independent 6th form college that offers a stimulating environment in which staff and students work together to achieve academic success.
Abbey College is continually expanding with over 400 students from more than 40 co...