The English School (TES) is looking to recruit experienced international school teachers for the next academic year and in particular requires a Humanities teacher to join our excellent team of Colombian and International teachers in the secondary school. Applications will be particularly welcome from candidates with international experience and all applicants must have a strong interest in inquiry based learning and promoting international mindedness.
Applicants should be prepared to teach across the Global Humanities MYP Programme (students aged 11-16) with a strong subject knowledge in History, Geography and Global Politics. It is essential that you are able to work collaboratively as part of a team but also assume independent responsibility in terms of planning, preparation and assessment. The Global Humanities department aims to develop active citizens with an interest, knowledge and engagement in global affairs. Applicants should be comfortable in using a range of creative and innovative teaching strategies to complement and develop the learning of the students.
The school offers a competitive package with flights, medical insurance and a salary scale (including a housing allowance element) that varies between a total of 89 and 109 million Colombian Pesos NET per year, depending on qualifications and experience. Visa costs are covered and assistance is provided to find suitable housing on arrival. The head’s bilingual assistant provides support to all foreign staff throughout their contracts for dealing with administrative issues to do with flats, bank accounts, etc. Professional development has a high priority at our school and all our teachers are given official IB training as well as the opportunity to take part in frequent INSET sessions targeted at current school development priorities.
The English School is a well-established international school with more than 1700 students from age 2 to 18. The student body consists of mostly Colombian nationals, with around 10% of students coming from other countries. There are approximately 30 expatriate staff across primary and secondary sections of the school. English is the official language of instruction at the school, though some subjects are taught in Spanish. The school also offers French from grade 4 onwards.
This is an exciting time to join The English School as we are currently in the process of a full strategic review. The well-established IB programmes (PYP, MYP, DP) will remain at the core of the school’s activities but new impetus will come in the form of an innovative online curriculum (The Mondrian Wall) and more accountability as the school enters its bid for CIS accreditation. The rigorous use of data and baseline testing is being introduced and our innovative 1 to 1 system of iPad use will see further development (the school is already an Apple distinguished school, a first in Colombia). TES was recently re-accredited with EFQM at 4 stars (upper level). Particular strengths identified by the visiting team were leadership and strategy, which reflects our commitment to continuous improvement and our determination to gain CIS full accreditation within the next two years.
TES is a very inclusive school, with a well-staffed Learning Support department that is active in all sections of the school. Staff applying for teaching positions should be committed to differentiation in the classroom and should ideally have experience of working with second language learners. Our aim is for all students to achieve at least C1 level in English by the end of their schooling. Despite our inclusive intake, we enter all of our students for the IB Diploma Programme and have an average pass rate of around 70% for the full diploma. The remaining 30% achieve significant results in their individual subject certificates and virtually all of our graduates enter university, either in Colombia or overseas. Many obtain scholarships to universities in North America and Europe.
TES is one of Colombia’s best-known international schools. Recent investment in refurbishment of the buildings has produced state-of-the-art facilities that feature innovative methods to create light and airy spaces conducive to learning as well as ergonomically designed playground equipment imported from Europe and excellent new library facilities for both primary and secondary schools. With the recent appointment of a full time communications director as well as our renewed commitment to digital learning, our online presence is also to be developed as a fully interactive virtual learning environment.
If you are an experienced teacher with aspirations to contribute to the further development of an excellent school, please send your completed application form only to firstname.lastname@example.org