Reporting to the further education editor, the junior reporter will play a key role covering FE and skills at Tes, the country’s leading outlet for education news. We are looking for an ambitious, up-and-coming journalist with a passion for uncovering news and coming up with hard-hitting investigations.
The role will involve writing news stories, features and in-depth analysis for our print and online products. We are looking for a journalist who is adept at using social media. You will be comfortable working with data, and able to build a network of contacts to bring in original content of interest to a knowledgeable audience. The role will offer the opportunity to work with national policymakers and learn from a talented team of experienced journalists.
- To research and write news stories to conform with the brief given and the standard expected by the FE editor
- To produce clear, accurate copy to agreed deadlines, free from libel risk
- To build expertise and contacts in a brief allocated by the FE editor and to pitch stories from this brief
- To use social media to drive web traffic, source stories, cover events and engage with readers
- To edit contributed comment pieces for publication
- To write blogs and to contribute to the publication’s video and audio output, as directed by the FE editor
- To write features when required
- To attend conferences and other events as directed by the FE editor, acting as an ambassador for the publication by always acting in a positive and professional manner
- To work with and collaborate with other reporters when instructed to do so by the FE editor
- To keep up to date with national politics and education issues
The ideal candidate will have some journalistic experience working for a specialist publication or regional newspaper, or have recently completed a recognised journalism course. Ideally you will have preliminary NCTJ or equivalent qualifications, and will be keen to develop your journalistic skills.
Essential skills / attributes and experience
- Strong news sense
- Excellent writing style
- Thorough knowledge of media law
- Ability to cultivate high-level contacts
- Skilled user of social media
- Comfortable working with data
- Strong team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude
Desirable skills / attributes and experience
- Video and audio journalism skills
TES Global’s values
Collaborative and resourceful across teams and locations
Great things happen when we work together to develop and deliver the best education; when we are able to deal skillfully and quickly with new challenges in the fast moving world of digital education and technology. We succeed by utilising the different skills and experiences of our teams across our global locations.
Passionate about education and teachers
We‘re dedicated to helping teachers, schools, universities and students to make a difference through education. We proudly put educators at the heart of everything we do and play an active and positive role at the heart of the global education community.
Fast moving and flexible
We value our print heritage, but we’re excited about our digital future. We’re open to change, embracing new ideas, technologies and innovative ways of working so that we can help educators everywhere raise global teaching standards.
Well-informed and focused
This applies to both our business and our journalism. We move quickly, but we make well-informed decisions about what will best help our business and customers flourish. We challenge ourselves to support educators and universities with the most insightful data, news and analysis every day.
Respectful and open minded
We treat people as we would like to be treated ourselves – with dignity and courtesy. We are sociable people with a sense of fun, and we warmly welcome everyone who wants to contribute to our business and the world of education.