Key Stage Leader - Science
Responsible to: Head of Science
Start date: January 2020 or sooner
Salary: Competitive, Inner London, plus benefits
Closing date: Tuesday 12th November, 2019, 5pm (The Trust will assess applications immediately on application and interview and appoint a suitable candidate before the closing date)
We are seeking to appoint a Key Stage Leader to join our strong and ambitious team. Working alongside an experienced Senior Leader and 2iC, you will play a key role in driving progress in your designated key stage and the subject as a whole. The successful candidate will be an excellent classroom teacher with the ability to embrace and deliver the vision of the Compass Schools Trust.
We are a small 11-16 school with a strong sense of community. In just our second year of GCSE, we have achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.02 making us one of the most improved schools in the country. The science team have played a significant role in this improvement and will continue to do so as we aim to achieve outstanding outcomes for our pupils.
Compass Team responsibilities
We expect all members of the Compass School staff team to work together to:
- Support the school vision and objectives outlined in the school development plan.
- Actively foster the ethos and values of the school.
- Build an expectation of high achievement for all.
- Support the pastoral care of students.
- Help to create the best environment to promote and secure the achievement of students and staff.
- Have a sense of Corporate Responsibility for the outcomes of students at Compass School Southwark.
- Build an exceptional understanding of what outstanding provision looks like in their subject.
- Comply with and support at all times the school’s policies and procedures on safeguarding of students.
- Contribute to the school’s programme of enrichment activities.
- Work with the school’s Health & Safety Policy to ensure a safe working environment for all.
- Maintain high professional standards of attendance, punctuality, appearance and conduct.
- Uphold and enhance the school’s reputation by ensuring positive, courteous relations with students, parents, colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Engage actively in CPD for self and colleagues.
- Be willing to go above and beyond expected levels of commitment to ensure the success of the school.
- Manage budget in line with areas of responsibility.
- Be proactive in ensuring appropriate allocation of resources and evaluate against outcomes.
- Undertake other reasonable duties related to the role as required from time to time.
- Lead by example, providing inspiration and motivation and embody for the staff, students, governors, parents and the wider community, the vision, purpose and leadership of the school.
- Take part in activities to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of teaching and learning within the school, proactively engaging with peer observations and focus upon the raising and maintaining of standards and expectations.
- Fulfilling leadership responsibilities in the department.
- Provide leadership that secures the delivery of high standards and attainment for all students and be responsible for the organisation, management and control of your classes.
- Monitor, evaluate and intervene to ensure all students are working towards making expected progress.
- Encourage interaction and teamwork within and between departments, sharing ideas and new initiatives identifying new ways of teaching your subject area and contributing to wider CPD opportunities.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and specific school-wide tasks as directed by the Principal.
Teaching and Learning
- Lead by example as a teacher, achieving high standards of pupil attainment and progress, behaviour and motivation through effective teaching.
- Provide highly effective teaching and learning opportunities within your subject area.
- Create a learning environment that is positive, affirming and supportive.
- Keep up to date with creative and innovative practices in teaching and learning and use as appropriate.
- Contribute to the department’s programme/curriculum i.e. curriculum, standards, target setting, assessment and reporting.
- Ensure that the students enjoy a safe and healthy environment in which standards of behaviour support learning and the social development of students.
- Develop successful and inclusive approaches to teaching, including supporting students with special educational needs and disabilities and of the more able.
- Achieve a harmonious and supportive community through effective relationships with staff and students.
- Provide regular, written feedback in the form of a learning dialogue to students and ensure that they are given opportunities to react and respond to this feedback.
Communication and Partnership
- Communicate Compass Schools Trust values, aims, policies and plans to staff, students and parents.
- Create, maintain and enhance effective working relationships with staff.
- Maintain an effective system of record keeping, reporting and communication with parents and students to ensure that the aims relating to each student’s progress are achieved.
- Help to ensure that good communications are maintained throughout the school.
- Present a coherent and accurate account of the performance of your classes in a form to be agreed with the Principal.
- Ensure that parents and students are well informed about curriculum, attainment and progress and are able to understand targets for improvement.
- Look for and use opportunities to support the development of the whole child through spiritual, moral, social and cultural activities.
- Develop and encourage good relations between the school and the local and wider community.
- Work closely with other schools, locally and nationally.
- Represent the school at marketing and other external events.
For further information about the school and the Trust, please go to www.compass-schools.com.
If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 542 6506.
Compass Schools Trust is committed to safeguarding children and all appointments will require an enhanced DBS check.