Full Time 42.5 hours per week- Compressed hours worked within School Term Time – Permanent
Set shifts worked from Monday to Friday between 7am and 10pm including Open Weekends (8 weekend shifts during the academic year)
£21,710 actual p.a. (£11.50 per hour) plus an additional £8 per hour unsocial weekend hours allowance ( total annual salary of £22,458 p.a.) plus generous local government pension, retail discounts and free on-site parking
Make a difference for our students!
Our Keyworkers are responsible for coordinating all aspects of personal development and individual progress for a group of key students.
Valence School is a KCC Foundation residential and day Special School. We cater for children and young people with physical disabilities, complex medical needs and associated learning and communication difficulties from age 4 to 19.
To enable our students to learn, promote their independence and help them achieve, as a dedicated Keyworker you will:
- support students in the classroom, including physical management and personal care;
- coordinate the personalised programme for each key student within the class and residential setting;
- be able to keep concise, comprehensive records;
- have a good level of numeracy and literacy;
- have excellent communication skills to liaise effectively and appropriately with students, staff, parents/carers and external agencies;
- be aware of current theory and practice in relation to social care and support for children and young people who have special educational needs.
Have you got what it takes? You will need to be a confident advocate, recognising the potential of the individual student and championing their needs. Experience of complex physical and medical needs along with GCSE (or equivalent) A*-C is desirable and successful candidates will be supported to complete the Level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare (if not already achieved). An aspiration to enable students to learn and achieve meaningful independence is essential.
We offer a supportive, friendly working environment in a country school setting and the chance to make a real and positive impact on the lives of Valence students. You will have 13 weeks holiday per year (5 weeks paid, the remaining 8 weeks' hours are compressed into the term time working weeks).
Valence School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of every student and expects all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. References will be taken up before interview and the successful applicants will require an enhanced DBS check.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of gender and ethnic group, but as men are currently under-represented in this role, we would encourage applications from male candidates. Appointment will be based on merit alone.