Laboratory Technician / Instructor
Expiry date: 23:59, 19 July 2017
Location: Stafford Campus
Salary: £19,671 Per Annum
Benefits: Local Government Pension Scheme
Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) was established in November 2016 as a result of the merger of Newcastle-under-Lyme College (NuLC) and Stafford Colleges.
Since that time we have invested £4m in the refurbishment of the Stafford College campus and in September we will be opening our new Science and Technology Centre which will boast the best college laboratory teaching facilities available anywhere in the country.
Key to the success of this project will be the appointment of a dynamic individual who is able to infuse others with a love of science. Duties will include ‘traditional’ technician roles but we also want someone who is as confident demonstrating techniques to students and supporting lecturers in the lab as they are competent in the prep room.
The laboratories that the post holder would be servicing are used for daytime A Level and BTEC classes, and also for evening GCSE science classes. The laboratories serve classes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The Science Community will provide a means for our learners to experience the subject beyond the confines of the curriculum.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist lecturers with demonstrations and practical classes.
- To assist teaching and schools liaison staff in the promotion of the College’s maths and science provision at open events.
- To undertake such duties as required of a Science Technician in relation to: preparing reagents, samples and specimens; disposing of chemicals and biological materials appropriately; cleaning specialised glassware, fume cupboards and laboratory sinks; keeping laboratories and store rooms in good order.
- To develop the Science Community within the College, setting up and running science clubs, engaging with higher education colleagues and raising the profile of Science within the College.
- To assist in the organisation of a range of local, national and international trips and excursions to relevant institutions.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Is qualified to at least A Level or equivalent and preferably is a recent graduate.
- Has gained experience in a scientific technical background.
- Has good organisational skills.
- Is an outstanding communicator.
- Has experience of stock control.
- Has the ability to work with flexibility.
- Has, or is quickly able to establish, good links with representatives of the local science community at local universities and employers.
What’s in it for you?
The college offers and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 24 Days Annual Leave rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service (plus bank holidays and Christmas closure period)
- Excellent Training and Development Opportunities
How to apply
To apply for the role of Laboratory Technician / Instructor, please go to www.nulc.ac.uk/jobs and click on ‘Apply’ to complete an online application form.
The closing date for completed applications is 19th July 2017.
This college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All college based positions are subject to enhanced DBS check and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.