Lead Practitioner - English
Leeds City Academy
Start Date: September 2021
Salary: LEADERSHIP SCALE L1 - 5
Hours: 1 FTE
Accountable to: Subject Leader for English
Role: To be a key driver for improving student outcomes through developing an outstanding curriculum and consistently outstanding teaching and learning in English. NB: All post-holders at The White Rose Academies Trust are responsible for improving the outcomes for learners and upholding the ethos of the Academies.
Academy: Leeds City Academy is a unique and very special place to work. Our philosophy is grounded equally in securing the highest professional standards and supporting and caring for all professionals. As a key member of the White Rose Academies Trust and ground-breaking Luminate Education Group, all professionals benefit from exceptional CPD like no other in the City. A broad, varied and highly personalised package is well-established, driven by the latest educational research, focused on the development of all professionals in the organisation at each career stage. Colleagues train with us, grow with us and progress with us.
Our academy is an extremely unique and amazing inner-city school, situated in the Woodhouse area of Leeds. The student body has nearly doubled in size over the last three years and now boasts just over 800 students in attendance. There is a vibrant, rich and amazing culture in the academy, characterised by the over forty different countries and first languages represented by our inspirational student body. Students and staff are incredibly proud of their academy and determined to work ‘In Partnership’ to secure further improvements and achievements.
We benefit from increasingly impressive facilities. The last twelve months have seen significant investment in a comprehensive building and refurbishment programme, resulting in a range of new specialist classrooms, learning and office spaces, new dining facilities, updated sports accommodation and changing rooms. This improvement programme will continue over the next twelve months, leading to improved specialist teaching spaces and the transformation of our outside space so that students can enjoy physical activity, relax and socialise with their friends in an amazing and inspirational environment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
To support the Subject Leader:
• To ensure excellent progress is made for different groups of students (e.g. girls/boys, upper/middle/lower, PP/non-PP/GRT/SEND) and to work with other relevant colleagues in the team to ensure that quality first wave teaching is in place to prepare students for examinations
• To ensure, through robust quality assurance and moderation, accurate predictions are being made in relation to student progress
• To develop schemes of work including templates, exemplars, and support materials which can be used across the team
• To coach, mentor and train colleagues in the team
• To be a role model to less experienced colleagues, demonstrating exemplary practice
Of all Lead Practitioners:
• To collaborate with Subject Leaders and the Senior Leadership Team, as a cross-academy team, generating engagement, involvement and excitement about the drive for classroom improvement
• To use coaching strategies with colleagues as agreed with the Principal and Vice Principal for Quality of Education including observing lessons and providing developmental feedback
• To deliver whole-Academy / school based training events as planned in the calendar
• To develop resources for the Academy VLE
• To contribute to the development of whole-Academy improvements in specific areas outlined in the Strategy to Secure Outstanding, e.g. literacy/numeracy
• To understand the impact of the use of data on student progress and its uses in enhancing classroom performance
• To demonstrate good practice in the use of ICT and multi-media tools to engage students, coaching colleagues as required
• To participate as performance managers in the management of specific colleagues within the structure as necessary
• To liaise / network with postholders at other WRAT academies to develop best practice models within area of responsibility
Part of the White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds City Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students achieve ‘World Class’ status.
We're securing our 2025 vision for World Class by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation of West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local Trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs over 400 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation. Our CPD Programme is focused on innovation, leadership development and delivery of excellence for vulnerable groups. Our Beginner Teacher Programme is amongst the best in the region. We are on a significant journey which will see all of our schools Ofsted rated as World Class within five years.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a member of Luminate Education Group, other members include Harrogate College, Keighley College, Leeds City College and Leeds Conservatoire. The Group provides expertise, international networks and highly desirable employability prospects within education and beyond.
Closing date: Monday 19th April 2021 9:00am
Shortlisting date: Monday 19th April 2021
Interview date: Wednesday 21st April 2021
Start date: Wednesday 1st September 2021
For more information, please visit our website at www.leedscityacademy.org.uk . To apply, please complete the application form and return to email@example.com by the closing date Monday 19th April 2021 9.00 am. Please note we are unable to accept CV’s.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and a DBS check.
PLEASE NOTE THE REQUIREMENT TO ATTACH YOUR APPLICATION FORM AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT TO YOUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FORM WHEN EMAILING YOUR APPLICATION TO US.
Leeds City Academy
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 16 years