Job Description: Lead Practitioner-Science
Reports to: Assistant Principal
Start date: September 2018
Location: Southwark, London
Salary: Ark Leadership 2- 6
This role is critical to the continuing progress of the academy. It is essential to how we will achieve the highest standard of learning and teaching in every classroom and therefore it is reliant on the coach consistently demonstrating outstanding / good and better teaching in their own classroom.
The Lead Practitioner will do everything possible to raise the quality of teaching and learning across the academy and directly with the people they coach. This will be achieved through individual coaching, delivering inset or modelling, as required.
- To develop and improve the practice of teachers so that inadequate teaching and teaching that requires improvement is eradicated
- To observe your coachee and provide high quality, diagnostic feedback that enables rapid improvement
- To alter your coaching method/style depending on the teacher you are working with
- To analyse and deconstruct the teaching and provide strategies that will impact on the areas for improvement
- To motivate and inspire your coachee to want to be outstanding
- To plan and lead inset to staff in line with the requirements of the academy
Outcomes and Activities
- To experiment and innovate exciting and effective new teaching and learning strategies.
- To conduct relevant research related to new practice.
- To strategically plan the coaching programme for each coachee.
- Sustain outstanding practice in your own classroom by constantly reflecting and refining.
- To create new and exciting resources.
- To model the outstanding practice and to be observed as necessary so that staff can develop their own understanding of what good or better learning looks like.
- To work collaboratively and creatively with the teaching and learning coaching team and SLT Lead.
- To seek out exceptional practice from other institutions so that we continually develop our practice.
- Use your learning to develop new and effective approaches to teaching and learning across the Academy.
- Deliver high quality training and inset sessions to new staff (all levels).
Disseminating best practice based on educational research
- Identifying educational research to enhance existing practices.
- Support teachers in creating positive behaviour management through good teaching.
- Co-ordinating the assessment and analysis of data and information and developing action planning.
- Co-ordinating the assessment strategies to address underachievement and reducing disaffection.
- Your appraisal targets will be directly linked to your impact on the people your coach and will be defined accordingly
- Your timetable allocation will be dependent on how many teachers you are coaching and the needs of the academy.
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
- You must continually demonstrate an unwavering commitment to the academy’s priorities and policies as modelled through your own actions and through your leadership of others
- Should your quality of teaching and learning not be sustained, this post will have to be re-considered accordingly.
Person Specification: Lead Practitioner: Science
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Qualified to teach and work in the UK
- Evidence of professional development relevant to the Advanced Skills Teacher (now Lead Practitioner) standards.
- Experience of providing professional development to teachers, including coaching, mentoring and training
- Experience of designing and developing resources to support learning across different subject areas
- Experience of preparing and leading training sessions
- Demonstrable experience of significantly raising attainment in a challenging context
- Experience of reflecting on and improving teaching practice to increase student achievement
- Evidence of continually improving the teaching and learning in their subject area though schemes of work, assessment and extra-curricular activities etc.
- Knowledge of the latest educational research, findings and best practices
- Excellent understanding of the OFSTED Framework and what constitutes effective teaching and learning
- Excellent knowledge of the National Curriculum for KS3, KS4 and ideally KS5 and a solid grounding in the assessment processes used to support planning and raise student attainment across these Key Stages
- Effective team member and leader
- High expectations for accountability and consistency
- Vision aligned with ARK’s high aspirations, high expectations of self and others
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every pupil
- Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence
- Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.