Responsible to: Senior Leader of Communications & Culture (SLT)
This is an exciting time to join the Compass School community and shape the future of our creative arts curriculum. This is a brand new role in the school.
We are looking for an inspirational Leader of Creative Arts who can build the profile of creative arts across the school, ensuring that our curriculum across art, design, music and performing arts is well enjoyed by our students, enriches and broadens the experiences of our students, and meets the high demands of the industries that our students may choose as careers in their future.
Students study a minimum of 4 hours per week of creative arts at Compass School Southwark, both as part of the core curriculum and as part of our enrichment curriculum. The appointed person would be responsible for developing the teaching, learning and assessment across the creative arts subjects, and ensuring that the curriculum is both rigorous and coherent across the four subject areas (art, design, music and performing arts).
Specific responsibilities would include:
- To undertake a lead role in developing creativity within the arts subjects and across the school.
- To develop a creative arts policy and further develop the arts action plan, in particular increasing curricular and extra-curricular arts activity.
- Supporting and leading the learning, teaching, attainment, progress and achievement of students within the creative arts subjects
- To co-ordinate the work of the subject leaders and teachers within the creative arts subjects, developing a shared ethos and common approaches.
- To line manage each of the single subject teachers across the creative arts subjects.
- To support the professional development of staff within arts subjects, acting as a role model of good teaching practice.
- To undertake the performance management of creative arts teaching staff in line with school procedures.
In choosing a successful candidate, the panel will be seeking an outstanding classroom teacher with the ability to embrace and deliver the vision of the Compass Schools Trust, with the aim of establishing the Compass School in Southwark as one of the most sought after schools in the Borough. They will have a clear vision of the role of creative arts across the school, and will be ambitious in their plans for raising the profile and status of creative arts amongst the whole school community.As the school grows we are looking to strengthen our creative arts provision, and build on the achievements of the art, design and music departments to date. The appointed candidate will also work with teachers to develop a new performing arts strand to the creative arts curriculum.
We welcome applications from art, design, music or performing arts practitioners, though we would particularly welcome applications from music and performing arts. Experience of leading a team of teachers is essential.
The deadline for applications is Monday 24 April 2017. Interviews will take place 25 – 27 April 2017.
The start date for the appointed candidate is 1 September 2017.
If you have any questions, please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 542 6506.