South Island School seeks to appoint an outstanding Leading Teacher of Physical Education (PE). Reporting to the Head of Sport and PE, your role will be to lead specific delegated aspects of the PE and Sport curriculum at SIS, in collaboration with other teachers with specific responsibilities in these areas.
The successful applicant will be a highly skilled teacher of PE. You will have the ability to motivate, inspire and engage with students in creative and innovative ways, both within and outside the classroom. You will be a skilled manager and leader, as you work with the faculty team towards our overall goal of ensuring excellent educational outcomes for all of our students. Like all staff, you will also be a tutor within our Pastoral Learning Curriculum (PLC), and will be expected to contribute effectively to our Values in Action and Making a Difference extra-curricular programmes.
At SIS, we follow the curricula for IBMYP PE, (I)GCSE PE, IBDP (Sports, Exercise and Health Science), and BTEC Sport Diploma (Development, Coaching and Fitness) - so prior experience of any of these courses would be a definite advantage. The position will be a full-time renewable contract for an initial two year period from August 2022. The role carries an additional TLR 4 allowance, as per the ESF Terms and Conditions .
The Leading Teacher of PE is expected to be committed and flexible, overseeing delegated aspects of the PE and Sport curricula as required.
Regular duties for all Leading Teachers include:
- Assisting the Head of Faculty to develop a learning community with high standards, high expectations and a culture of collaboration and learning;
- Leading and managing designated aspects of learning and teaching within the faculty, ensuring department staff develop innovative and effective pedagogical expertise, facilitating appropriate development opportunities for faculty colleagues as necessary;
- Leading the planning, development and evaluation of schemes of learning for specific designated courses, to maximise positive outcomes;
- Helping to maintain a learning climate that is inclusive and safe, yet challenging and innovative, ensuring appropriate differentiation to meet the needs of students with all learning profiles;
- Helping to develop appropriate assessment practices, to support student progress and attainment, using student data to inform planning;
- Attending Academic Leadership Team (ALT) meetings and contributing to whole school initiatives as required – and working with the Head of Faculty to ensure an appropriate cascade of information during weekly planning and meeting time;
- Participating actively in appropriate ESF networks for curriculum and leadership development, and innovation in teaching and learning;
- Working as a tutor for a group of students, within the Pastoral Learning Curriculum.
Additionally, the Leading Teacher of PE is expected to work very closely with the Head of PE and Sport, to ensure the quality of our practical Sport programmes, both within the PE curriculum, and within our Values in Action and Making a Difference extra-curricular programmes. Administrative support is available to support practical aspects of the role.
- A degree in a relevant subject;
- An internationally recognised teaching qualification (i.e. a postgraduate teaching qualification, or an education degree);
- A strong commitment to taking an inclusive approach to meet the needs of all students;
- The ability to lead and inspire others and to manage a team effectively, showing excellent leadership, management and administrative skills;
- The ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with teachers and other relevant professionals, parents and students;
- An understanding of current developments in teaching PE and Sport;
- Experience of a range of assessment strategies for identifying students’ needs and supporting learning;
- A commitment to pastoral care within the school;
- A commitment to developing students’ skills through sport and physical activity.
For more information about South Island School, please click HERE .
Teaching in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a premier destination for expatriate and local teachers! ESF Teachers enjoy an extremely lucrative salary package and a very high standard of living overall, in an exciting and vibrant world city. The teaching profession is highly respected, student motivation and outcomes are excellent, and all teachers receive considerable support from ESF and SIS with settling into Hong Kong, as well as with their professional development. Please feel free to contact us in advance about life in Hong Kong if you feel a conversation on this topic would be helpful.
Further information can be found in the following locations:
South Island School website: https://www.sis.edu.hk
English Schools Foundation website: https://www.esf.edu.hk/
Please email the Principal’s PA, Ms Cecilia Lo, if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
An early application for the role is very strongly advised, as we plan to begin the process of interviewing suitable applicants before the closing date on this occasion.
Closing Date: By 8am Hong Kong Time on Monday 13th December 2021
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and offers may be extended prior to the job closing date.
By applying for this position, your application may be considered for other opportunities within ESF.
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
About the Team
South Island School is a dynamic, innovative and forward-looking school located in a green setting on the south side of Hong Kong Island. It caters for 1,440 students from around 40 different nations. The school prides itself on a strong values-based philosophy, an international outlook, a personalised curriculum and very high academic standards. There is a focus on the development of students’ personal qualities, fostering a skill set which is creative and contemporary and which develops community responsibility under the banner ‘Making a Difference’. The school is inclusive and makes excellent provision for students with a range of individual needs.
The school is authorised by the IBO to offer the MYP (Years 1-3), the IBDP, and the IBCP.http://www.sis.edu.hk
Ever thought about teaching in Hong Kong with ESF?
An innovative IB learning community of 22 schools – Hong Kong Based, World Class
South Island is a proud member of the English Schools Foundation (ESF) family. South Island School is a dy...