POST TITLE: LEARNING SUPPORT ASSISTANT
BASED AT: The Philip Morant School and College
SALARY SCALE: Band 2 Whole Band (Points Range 3 to 6)
HOURS: 27.5 hours for 39 weeks of the year
LINE MANAGER: SENCo
LIAISON WITH: SENCo, other classroom based support staff, teachers, students and parents/carers
MAIN JOB PURPOSE: To work in partnership with all school staff and other professionals to support student learning in line with the National Curriculum, Code of Practice and School Policies and Procedures.
1. Support students with activities which support literacy and numeracy skills
2. Understand specific learning needs and styles and provide differentiated support to students individually and within a group
3. Establish positive relationships with students supported.
4. Develop student's ability and capacity for independent learning (including study skills)
5. To be involved in planning, organizing and implementing withdrawal LE.P's (if appropriate).
6. To record progress made on a daily basis by completing a college log and distributing this to relevant staff.
7. Contribute to reviews of students on Education, Health Care plans and production of relevant reports and records
8. Implement planned learning activities/teaching programmes liaising with the teacher, adjusting activities according to students' responses as appropriate
9. Work with individuals or small groups in accordance with the classroom agreement
10. Promote positive student behaviour in line with school policies and help keep students on task
11. Support the use of ICT in the classroom and develop students' competence and independence in its use
12. Assist with supporting students on educational visits
13. Understand and apply school policies in relation to health, safety and welfare
14. Attend relevant school meetings and training
15. Respect confidentiality in accordance with school policy including the Safeguarding Policy
16. Follow the guidelines on 'Safeguarding Children' published by the DfE and within the scope of these guidelines accept responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people.
17. Comply with individual responsibilities in accordance with the role, for Health and Safety in the workplace.
18. Carry out any reasonable tasks that may be required by the school
Experience in Signing would be an advantage.