Priory College Stroud Campus, Stratford Road, Stroud, GL5 4AH
Hours 37.5 hours per week (term time only) Part time hours will be considered
We are seeking experienced Learning Support Workers to provide one-to-one pastoral and academic support to our learners, who access a range of topics, from functional skills to A Levels.
Experience of working with young people with ASD and complex mental health difficulties would be beneficial, the ability to work in a flexible manner to adapt to individual student’s needs is essential. In addition to the above, the ability to support and deliver functional skills in Maths and English would be beneficial if required.
Priory College Stroud Education Service is a new and exciting development based at SGS College, Stroud. We offer education services to a number of residential houses based in the Stroud community, as well as a day service. We provide every young person with an individually tailored programme of education, care, work experience, life skills and training within the community. Our approach enables young people to develop confidence and the skills they need to progress towards adulthood, including further or higher education. This position will be based in and around the postcode area of GL5 4AH. Please ensure this commutable for you when considering this role.
Your role will include:
- Providing learners with the relevant support specified by the tutor as well as encouraging the learners towards independence and accepting responsibility for their own behaviour
- Establishing a good relationship with learners by using language and other communication skills that learners can understand and relate to
- Promoting positive learner behaviour in line with college policies by the use of praise and encouragement
- Working under the direction of the tutor to prepare and maintain an effective learning environment, by preparing work materials and apparatus
- Taking part in training activities offered by the college and Priory to further knowledge
- Taking part in planning meetings, inset days and any other meetings as required
- Communication and personal interaction is a key feature of this role. This may include providing extensive pastoral support to the students.
The educational and social challenges experienced by young people and learners may, at times, give rise to unusual or anti-social behaviour, which can be very emotionally and physically demanding. Applicants must have a resilient response whilst in this environment.
A clean driving license for at least 3 years is a requirement for this role. At times, we organise trips and different types of enrichment and learning activities off site so our Learning Support Workers would be expected to drive the students to the relevant location.
An NVQ 2 (or equivalent) qualification, or the commitment to work towards this is required for the role which is appropriate to the teaching and learning environment of young adults or significant experience working with young adults with autism and mental health disorders.
An element of report writing will be required for the role, along with organisational, reliable and basic IT skills is essential.
Previous experience within a relevant educational environment or therapeutic setting is a distinct advantage.
We want to invest in you and your future! Find out about our career pathways: https://www.priorycareerpathways.com/
For all roles we require a minimum of two references. References provided must cover the last 3 years, for all of our services we will need to request all references from where you have worked with either Children or Vulnerable Adults. Please be advised that references will be requested prior to interview for all roles within our schools.
From education to hospitals, care homes and secure facilities, the Priory Group of Companies offers individually tailored, multidisciplinary treatment programmes for those with complex educational needs or requiring acute, long-term and respite mental healthcare.
Priory Education Services is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and disclosures with the relevant body at an enhanced level. We are an equal opportunities employer. Priory Education and Children's services will cover the cost of a DBS.