We are seeking a Library Manager to manage the operational process and day-to-day running of the school library. The successful candidate will possess a genuine love of literature, partnered with the zeal, creativity and drive to inspire a reading culture that develops impassioned life-long readers.
What we are looking for:
- At least two year's experience of working in a school Library environment
- Ability to build a rapport with students as well as initiate ways to support young people in finding quality texts that support both student needs and reading competence.
- Knowledge of contemporary and young people's literature
- An understanding of school roles and the position of the part-time library assistants
- Effective use of IT and other equipment and resources
Why work at Plymstock School?
Plymstock School is a highly successful school, which over the last three years has achieved one of the strongest Progress 8 scores in the South West, as well as the highest in the city for non-selective schools. We are a very popular choice with parents and are significantly oversubscribed. Plymstock is a suburb of Plymouth and lies approximately three miles to the east of the city. It is within easy access of the A38, and staff commute from Cornwall, Dartmoor and the South Hams.
Plymstock School is part of the Westcountry Schools Trust, a tight knit family of schools based around natural geographical proximity in the South West. Formed in 2017, the WeST family currently consists of 22 schools, of which 7 are secondary and 15 primary. Our mission statement is ‘Stronger together…every child in a great school’. You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with colleagues across a network of likeminded schools – sharing new ideas, expertise and pooling resources. WeST also offers excellent CPD opportunities and significant potential career development opportunities.
Our standards of discipline are very high. Our behaviour management system is simple, quick and highly effective. We are a school that still subscribes to traditional expectations for behaviour, and you will find many things that you won’t see elsewhere, such as all students standing when an adult enters a classroom.
Relationships between staff and students are great and a real strength of this school. Our staff are happy, morale is good and staff turnover is low – people want to work here. We have received much recognition of our work.
If you are still interested there are a number of questions we need you to consider next. Are you someone who...
- believes in, and is committed to, our ambition to be world-class
- sees working with young people as a vocation or calling rather than just a job
- believes that improvement is continuous and that we can always learn more
- will go the extra mile for our great students
- stays positive, committed and won’t give up, even when times are tough
- doesn’t have a big ego and is committed to the team
- is polite and respectful to others, and understands the importance of strong and supportive working relationships
- has a good sense of humour
- has an excellent attendance record
- brings solutions and ideas, rather than problems
- is open to new ideas and will always give something a try
If you can say yes to all of these and want to work in an exciting and dynamic environment, with an amazing group of students and a top-quality team of staff – then Plymstock School is for you and we would warmly welcome your application.
Application forms should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 9am - Monday 1 November 2021
Plymstock School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post is subject to receipt of a satisfactory enhanced DBS clearance.
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Plymstock School is a co-educational 11-18 non-selective school of over 1600 students, with 250 in the Sixth Form. We are a very popular choice with parents and are significantly oversubscribed. Consequently, we are expanding...