Applications are invited from suitably qualified teachers for the following position:
Literacy and Numeracy Instructional Leader
Full time temporary position 2020
supporting the State Literacy / Numeracy Initiative, secondment may be available for the successful internal applicant.
In the Diocese of Lismore, the key strategies for the 2017-2020 implementation of the Phase 2 Literacy and Numeracy Action Plan (LNAP) include the employment of a K-2 Literacy and Numeracy Instructional Leader.
Overall Purpose of the Position
The Literacy and Numeracy Instructional Leader (K-2) works in collaboration with the school’s leadership team, especially the principal and leader of pedagogy, with particular responsibility for Years K-2 to act as a ‘catalyst' for change working with teachers to build their capacity to raise students’ literacy and numeracy outcomes.
• Support the mission, teachings and ethos of the Catholic Church’s work in schools
• Acknowledge and accept that your work in schools is part of the mission of the Catholic Church
• Uphold the mission, teachings and ethos of the Catholic Church in Catholic Education
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Contributes to building the capacity of teachers by:
• modelling, coaching and promoting classroom strategies that maximise student learning and incorporate the principles of contemporary learning
• critically reviewing research on best practice in teaching and learning to assist colleagues to further develop their teaching expertise
• promoting an attitude of learning to learn
• initiating strategies for developing a climate for providing and accepting constructive feedback and recognition of achievement.
Contributes to the development of leadership by:
• leading the school’s culture of high expectations in regard to numeracy and literacy K-2, collaborative planning, and monitoring of student learning
• placing learning at the centre of strategic planning and ensuring there is a diverse and flexible curriculum taught well in an effective learning environment
• working collaboratively with school’s curriculum team to ensure key issues are regularly being evaluated and improved upon
Manages the K-2 school data required to demonstrate evidence based teaching by:
• supporting teachers in the analysis of school performance data
• monitoring student and school literacy and numeracy performance to identify areas of student need and staff professional learning
• assisting teachers in the design and implementation of classroom strategies as part of their response to intervention.
School specific role and responsibilities:
• ensures focus is maintained on the Literacy and Numeracy Action Plan Priorities 2017-2020, set by the Minister for Education
• works directly with teachers and is often present in classrooms modelling, coaching and mentoring thus building teachers’ capacity
• contributes to organisational management in planning appropriate support and resources to gain the shift for those students identified as being below grade expectations in literacy and numeracy
• monitors and reports on Kindergarten to Year 2 students’ progress in literacy and numeracy against end of year benchmark expectations outlined in the Literacy and Numeracy Continua
• supports the teacher in identifying the students who are ‘at risk’ and with the leadership team determines the professional learning needs of staff so that appropriate differentiated instruction and intervention takes place
• supports students who are not making expected progress through selective diagnostic assessment and timely group interventions including re-teaching, providing opportunity for practice, and opportunity to participate in more formalised Tier 2 interventions
• facilitates and if appropriate provides the “professional learning of teachers in effective literacy and numeracy teaching practices”
• challenges, supports and refines existing classroom pedagogy and acts as mentor and coach trialling and modelling instructional strategies to support personalised learning and the use of diagnostic assessment
• collaborates with colleagues on the implementation of the school’s literacy and numeracy plans
• strengthens and supports the maintenance of the diocesan agreed English and Mathematics block and associated guidelines
• supports teachers to develop understandings about NAPLAN success criteria and how they relate to curriculum outcomes and how they can be more strategic in supporting student readiness for this kind of assessment
• participates fully in Professional Learning Teams (PLTs) in collaboration with the leader of pedagogy.
Qualifications and Skills Required
• four year trained qualification
• demonstrated exemplary skills in classroom pedagogy
• ability to challenge status quo and work flexibly with principal and other executive team members.
Conditions of Service
Employment type: Full time temporary teaching appointment/ possible secondment
Enterprise Agreement: NSW and ACT Catholic Systemic Schools Enterprise Agreement 2017
Remuneration: Teacher classification
Applications should include your full resume and address the key tasks and responsibilities and what you would bring to the position.
Application directed to: Assistant Principal – Christine Jeffrey
Closing date: Friday 15 November 2019
Child Protection legislation requires preferred applicants to be subject to employment screening.
An equal opportunity employer
Information on how to Register for Employment in the Lismore Diocese is available on the Catholic Schools Office website http://www.lism.catholic.edu.au/employment/employment-information/