We are looking for a dynamic, energetic, well qualified and highly committed graduate possessing excellent language and literary skills, capable of teaching Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation to Advanced and Oxbridge level and to join the Classics Department and to teach and promote these subjects throughout the school. Classics is well supported and popular at City of London School for Girls. There are three full-time, and one part-time, members of the Department. We aim to provide all our pupils with a challenging and enjoyable experience and to leave them with positive memories of their Classics lessons. Teaching Classics at City is very rewarding because of its lively, interested students and the wide variety of the work. Members of the Department regularly organise Classics trips to Greece or Italy and applicants should be willing to organise trips and opportunities for enrichment outside the normal school curriculum as appropriate.
We balance our teaching as much as possible by alternating beginners’ groups each year, and we all share Sixth Form teaching. The Department works closely as a team and co-ordinates its teaching by means of weekly meetings and frequent informal discussions, so that we can readily exchange ideas and materials, and so achieve a consistent approach. We use computers for a great variety of interactive exercises from Years 7 – 13, and use the Cambridge On-line Latin regularly with Year 7 - 9 classes. All pupils study the Cambridge Latin Course in Years 7, 8 and 9. After this they may choose to continue Latin for GCSE. Greek is offered as an intensive course in Year 10 and the take-up is excellent. We use OCR examination board for all our courses. Numbers are healthy in all areas, with all members of the Department teaching full Classics timetables. Our examination results have been consistently excellent and each year there are Sixth Formers who continue with Classics or Classics-related subjects at university.
• Good academic qualifications – degree or equivalent in Classics (1st/2nd).
• Competency in the use of ICT for administration, report writing and for carrying out the teaching of this subject.
• Commitment to further professional development.
• Willingness to get involved in the extra-curricular life of the school. • An ability to motivate students to reach their full potential.
• Experience of teaching a range of ages from Y7-Y13.
• Understanding of the expectations of a high achieving academic environment.
• Experience as a form teacher.