Phoenix House is a new international school opening in the centre of Tokyo, August 2021, for international students aged 5 to 11. We will be offering a language-rich, British style education based on the National Curriculum of England.
We seek passionate, skilled and hardworking teachers excited to build and launch a rich new model of international schooling in one of the most unique and exciting cities in the world. If you are an exceptional, UK-qualified teacher, looking for a new challenge as part of a newly assembled team in Tokyo, then read on.
Our core mission is to create young people who can work collaboratively, ask deep questions and think critically, through delivery that naturally incorporates and develops inquiry skills. Solid teaching of core English and maths skills will be accompanied by language study and a thematic and inquiry-based approach towards the foundation subjects.
House life will be central to a student’s experience at Phoenix House. Building confidence and enriching the school community, Rothesay House, Oak House and Clarence House will bring the arts, culture and character to the heart of the school. Termly residential visits for all year groups to North Peak Enrichment Campus, our outdoor centre in Hokkaido, will enliven the curriculum and develop self confidence in a more natural environment.
If you are keen to work hard and excited by this opportunity to join a new school and a newly established team in Tokyo then we look forward to hearing from you. Teachers with experience in UK independent schools or British brand schools abroad are strongly encouraged to apply.
Phoenix House International School is managed and operated by Clarence Education Asia. www.clarenceeducation.asia
Middle School Maths Teacher (KS3)
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new school and a newly assembled team of creative and committed staff to provide excellent quality learning and teaching to international families in the centre of Tokyo. Successful Middle School teachers will have the opportunity to apply for KS3-KS5 (A Level) teaching roles in new CEA secondary schools in Japan from 2023.
- Experience of KS3 (and KS4 iGCSE) innovative and engaging maths curriculum, lesson design and delivery
- Passion for, a language-rich curriculum, residential outdoor education and creative integration of technology
- Clear understanding of and appreciation for the effective use of formal formative and summative assessment methods and progress data
- Commitment to maths-related aspects of house life including regular small scale as well as larger scale events
- Excellent organisation, commitment and work ethic
- High academic expectations and the ability to effectively differentiate to meet all needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to wider life of school including house life and enrichment programmes
- Determination and ability to supply the best possible mathematical experience to each child
- An understanding of the high professional and personal expectations working for an independent style school abroad requires.
- Willingness, flexibility and the commitment associated with starting a new school.
We can offer:
- Maximum class size of 16-18
- New school building in central Tokyo, well-resourced classrooms
- Motivated, engaged and well-behaved children
- Regular residential school trips to our North Peak enrichment campus in Hokkaido
- CPD to support innovative practice
- Attractive salary and benefits package including relocation, accommodation and local health insurance
For the right candidate, there are opportunities for additional middle leadership responsibilities:
- House Leadership
Closing date for applications: Friday 16th April 2021. Early applications are encouraged.
The interview process will take place throughout April 2021. Due to COVID-19, in-person school visits, lesson observations and interviews will not be possible.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview and to submit:
-Lesson planning within scheme of work
-Children’s work – selection of recorded outcomes from the unit and lesson (names removed)
-Class assessment data (names removed)
For more details about our school, please visit our website: www.phoenixhouseschool.org
Phoenix House International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Short-listed candidates will undergo background checks, including following-up references with previous employers.
Phoenix House International School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 13 years
It is with huge pride that Phoenix House school will formally open in August 2021 in Tokyo and Hokkaido. The school will seek to offer a creative and innovative British style independent school education within the rich international culture of Japan...