UWC Dilijan College is looking for an experienced and committed candidate to fill in the position of Outdoor Education Officer to join in August 2019.
UWC Dilijan – one of the 17 United World Colleges – is an intentionally diverse international boarding school in Armenia. It first opened its doors in August 2014 and now has 218 students (16 to 18-year-old) from 77 countries studying International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma.
We believe that education is “a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future” (UWC Mission). We are a caring, learning community that aims to support the intellectual, moral, emotional, social, spiritual and physical development of our members following the UWC educational principles, model and values.
UWC Dilijan is also part of a wider network of organizations that work to transform Armenia, such as the IDeA Foundation, the Aurora Pri ze for Awakening Humanity, the Foundation for Armenian Science and Technology.
Educators at UWC Dilijan have a wide and varied role: beyond the classroom, they also have roles to play in our outdoor education program, our CAS program, as mentors and in our residential life programme. There are ample opportunities to get involved beyond the UWCD community in Dilijan and beyond. We encourage you to browse our website and social media feeds to learn more about us.
• To become involved in different areas of the College life: academic, activities, outdoor programme, personal and social education, residential life and service.
• To operate both as an individual as a member of different functional collaborative teams.
• To promote a challenging education that uses the student diversity as an asset.
Personal and professional specifications:
The list below is offered as an indication of our expectations. We are aware that we all follow our own personal paths and have our own strengths and weaknesses. Please do contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about these:
• Commitment and passion for education and inspiring students: at least three years of teaching experience; experience in teaching the IB Diploma Programme would be an advantage.
• Proven successful experience of working with children and adolescents (other relevant experience outside schools will also be considered).
• Previous safeguarding training would be an advantage, otherwise appointed candidates will be expected to undergo initial training before joining UWCD and further training while with us.
• Undergraduate studies in the relevant field; postgraduate studies in education, counseling, or similar areas would be an advantage.
• Understanding of and/or readiness to join a residential school.
• Open-mindedness and ability to work in an international, intercultural environment
• Proficiency in the taught subject. The ability to teach more than one subject and to lead different activities would be an advantage.
• Professional proficiency in English. Proficiency in other languages as well as intercultural experience is desirable.
• Previous involvement in UWC schools and colleges , the International Baccalaureate and the Council of Interna tional Schools (as an examiner, workshop leade r, visiting team member, etc.) would be an advantage.
• First and foremost, the opportunity to work with truly diverse, wonderful, smart and talented students.
• A two-year contract renewable by mutual consent.
• A competitive salary (stated in $US, paid in equivalent Armenian Dram).
• Rent-free accommodation on or off-campus (depending on the role) including utility bills and free meals in our canteen (also for dependents).
• An annual travel allowance and relocation allowance at the beginning and end of contract.
• Usage of the school’s excellent facilities, including an indoor swimming-pool, gym, theatre, workshop and art studios.
• Professional development opportunities.
• Private medical and travel insurance.
• Armenia has much to offer whether you are interested in nature, history, culture... Located in the Caucasus, the region is developing and there are myriad opportunities to explore it. You can learn more about Armenia and UWC Dilijan here
Being an intentionally diverse community, we welcome applications from qualified candidates from all cultural and educational backgrounds. All applications have to be submitted electronically via firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on February 20th (UTC +4). Please specify the title of job in the subject line.
UWC Dilijan is committed to safeguarding our students and visitors. An application for a position implies explicit consent to undergo thorough background checks and screening. Successful candidates will be subject to background checks, including reference requests from previous employees as well as a security check.