Headmaster’s PA & Office Manager
The PA to the Headmaster & Office Manager is responsible for acting as the first line of contact for the Headmaster, his diary management, the maintenance of administrative systems, and for general secretarial and administrative duties. Key to the smooth running of the School, the role also involves management of the administrative team. The incumbent of this position comes into contact with a wide range of adults and pupils and provides a warm welcome to visitors and other contacts whilst operating at the highest professional standards in support of the Headmaster.
The role is full-time and for a maternity cover from December 2019 until January 2020.
• To act as first line contact for the Headmaster, using discretion and tact to ensure telephone callers, visitors and staff receive a professional response and are dealt with by the appropriate person.
• To provide a warm welcome at all times, be well-presented and confident in dealing with people from all levels and different backgrounds.
• To liaise with members of the academic and support staff as appropriate, generating an environment of efficiency.
• To manage the Headmaster’s diary with confidence and organise his day-to-day commitments.
• To oversee the recruitment process of teaching and administrative staff including all pre-employment checks and maintaining the Single Central Register.
• To show absolute confidentiality and discretion at all times.
• To cover routine events or emergencies with equilibrium and confidence. The ability to keep calm in any situation and to deal with anyone who may be upset or emotional will be an asset.
• To assist the Headmaster in maintaining a smooth running and efficient Headmaster’s Office by dealing with all administrative functions, anticipating and scheduling regular events and meetings.
• Assisting in co-ordinating arrangements for School events, including sending out invitations and collation of replies.
• Take Minutes of meetings, as required.
• Typing of Headmaster’s end of Term Reports on pupils.
• Supporting the work of the Admissions Department during school holidays
• Proven track record of successful support to a senior manager.
• Excellent Outlook, Word and IT skills; experience of using SIMS databases would be advantageous, but not essential.
• A typing speed of 50+wpm; RSA Typewriting or equivalent secretarial/ICT related keyboard skills. • Good organisational skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure and with rapidly changing deadlines. Flexibility and to work as part of a team is important.
• Discretion, tact, confidentiality and loyalty at all times.
• Good level of general education, demonstrating a high standard of literacy skills to prepare correspondence/reports and maintain records. Accuracy and attention to detail is required.
• Good telephone manner in dealing with a range of callers.
• Flexibility to work occasionally early or late, as necessary. Time off in lieu would be taken during the School holidays.
• An appreciation of the School, its aims and ethos.
• Previous experience of working in a School environment is desirable, but not essential.
Applications should reach the school no later than Monday 21st October at 9.00am and interviews will be held from Wednesday 23rd October.
Wetherby Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.