Fixed-term 19-21 month contract ending July 2019
Based at St John’s, Marlborough but working across Wiltshire, Swindon and South Gloucestershire
An exciting and unique opportunity to take the lead in a major project funded through the first round of the DfE’s Strategic School Improvement Fund, aiming to improve the mastery of phonics knowledge at KS1.
Excalibur TSA, which is led by St John’s Marlborough, has just launched an exciting new project to address a key South West priority: to improve the mastery of basic phonic knowledge to develop speed and fluency so that pupils become confident, mature readers with a passion for reading. The focus will be primarily on the Wiltshire, Swindon and South Gloucestershire regions targeting around 4,000 pupils in 54 schools where phonics outcomes are below the national average.
We are recruiting for the role of Phonics Programme Director to take the lead in the delivery of this project. We're looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual, who has a passion for and real understanding of phonics and how it should be delivered in the classroom. The ideal candidate will have experience of leadership and staff management.
- Managing and delivering the project as outlined in accordance with the Strategic School Improvement fund application programme of work, reporting to the Director of Excalibur Teaching School Alliance
- Working with the five Phonics hubs, local authorities, supported schools and other partners, both at a strategic and hands on levels to deliver the project
- Carrying out monitoring and evaluation of progress made against targets and action plans and using this information to inform school interventions
- Reporting to the DfE and Strategic School Improvement Fund Board on a regular basis against the termly activities, progress milestones, outcomes and termly costs as set out in SSIF application
- Ensuring that the quality standards are met.
- Formal teaching qualification (PGCE or Certificate of Education)
- At least 2 years’ experience in a position of Leadership
- Knowledge and experience of monitoring pupil achievement and progress
- A proven track record in improving pupil outcomes
- Up-to-date knowledge of phonics
- Appreciation of current developments in phonics
- Experience of planning training programmes to meet individual needs
- Ability to analyse data
- A clean driving licence is essential as is access to your own vehicle
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Be able to project manage and report effectively
- An ability to motivate people
- Effective written communication skills
- Effective oral and presentation skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Good personal IT skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Commitment to educational and organisational values as described in the ‘Role of the Professional Teacher’.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be passionate about developing pupil's learning in phonics
- Be able to inspire excellent classroom practice
- Have a proven track record in providing focused phonics support
- Have the ability to work effectively to lead a team from across a number of partners situated in a wide geographical location
- Have the ability to work flexibly to meet changing needs
- Be committed to own learning and development
- Be committed to understand and promote equality of opportunity
- Be committed to understand and promote safeguarding
- Have a good record of attendance and punctuality
- Have an appropriate professional appearance.
Details on the position and how to apply on line are available on the recruitment page of our website: www.stjohns.wilts.sch.uk or contact Kim Jones on 01672 519556.
Closing date: 4 October 2017
Excalibur Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All applicants will be subject to a full Disclosure and Barring Service check before appointment is confirmed.