You will have the opportunity to work as a PE and School Sport (PESS) Assistant within a school. A PESS assistant supports the delivery of PE in the classroom & school sport as part of extracurricular clubs and school teams.
The National School Apprenticeship programme presents a unique opportunity to start a career working in a school. You will receive comprehensive training throughout the apprenticeship and ongoing support from the school.
Working as a PE and School Sport Assistant you'll support the work of school staff to deliver high-quality PE and school sport. This may include breakfast, dinner and after school clubs, as well as curriculum activities.
Your role will begin with the setup of activity equipment in preparation for lessons. Throughout the lesson, you will assist the teacher and lead activities that will encourage all pupils to be involved. At the end of each lesson, you will review the session and tidy away all activity equipment safely.
At the end of your apprenticeship you'll achieve the nationally recognised Supporting Teaching and Learning in PE and School Sport qualification, as well as valuable work experience, that will provide you with the best chance possible of being offered a full-time role within the school or a sports organisation. A newly qualified PE Technician can earn between £14,000 and £25,000 per annum.
Below is a summary of your key roles and responsibilities;
- Prepare, assist, lead and review PE and school sports sessions.
- Contribute to joint working with other organisations.
- Support the development of PE and school sport.
- Set up, take down and store activity equipment.
- Assist with the management of school sports teams.
- Support the organisation of intra and inter-school competitions
- Compliance with all necessary policies and procedures relating to child protection, equality and diversity, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Willing and able to complete all learning and assessment requirements of the relevant framework
- Able to establish good working relationships with staff, pupil's parents and outside agencies
- Team player
- Good time management
- Hold GCSE Grade C or above in English and Maths or equivalent
Surrey Street Primary School is a friendly, inclusive school situated near the centre of Luton. OFSTED (January 2015) said: * The school is a happy one where pupils from many different cultures and backgrounds work and play together in harmony. * Pupils have positive attitudes to learning, behave well and feel safe. The curriculum gives pupils a varied range of experiences that contribute strongly to their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. In recent years, we have worked hard to increase the children's engagement in PE and sports, and now have a number of clubs running in the school. Our teams are becoming quite successful in interschool competitions. We are looking for someone with the skills and enthusiasm to build on this.
- Level 2 Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Physical Education
- Employee rights and responsibilities
- Functional Skills (if required)
Contract Term: 60 weeks
Contract Type: Intermediate level apprenticeship
Application Contact: Kate Wardle
Closing Date: 02.12.2016