Physics (Science) Technician
Responsible to: Head of Science & Senior Science Technician
Band: Band 2 to Midpoint
Full time/Part time: Full time
Provide full technician support to teaching staff, with particular regard to the preparation and clearing of lesson materials.
Responsibilities will include:
• Prepare, set up and check the apparatus, materials and chemicals for practical work.
• Assist with the preparation and demonstration of KS3 and KS4 lessons.
• Clear equipment at the end of practical sessions and ensure that laboratories are safe for the following lesson. This would include wiping down benches and checking sinks where necessary.
• Ensure safe use and storage of laboratory equipment.
• Undertake maintenance and repairs of Physics and General equipment.
• If requested by Senior Technician, support teaching staff and students during lessons and assist teachers in setting up equipment
• Under the direction of the Senior Technician, liaise with other departments/schools re use of additional specialist equipment.
• Refer stock and printing requirements to the Senior Technician.
• Supply visual aids, textbooks, worksheets and audio visual equipment to classrooms, and undertake routine photocopying as required.
• Liaise with Senior Science Technician regarding any gas/fume problems that may occur.
• Ensure the application of Health and Safety procedures and raise awareness of H & S issues specifically in relation to laboratories.
• Undertake any training commensurate with the post.
• Assist in ensuring the safe conduct of students in the department.
• Work with colleagues to ensure the well-being of any living materials within the department.
• Help with general duties as part of the Technician team.
• All teachers at The Stanway School will carry out their duties in line with those set out in the
• Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task needing to be undertaken may not be identified.
• This job description may be amended at any time following discussion with the Headteacher and will be reviewed annually.
• The Sigma Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.