We are a happy and successful school in Lewes with a strong track record of Science results. We are looking for an experienced and professional Physics Technician to join us from September 2018.
Our team of Science teachers includes three Physics specialists, two Chemists and four Biologists, most of who teach their speciality at least 90% of the time. Students from Year 6 also use our laboratories on occasion throughout the year and are taught by a Science specialist.
Our timetable runs over two weeks and the majority of Science lessons are 70 minutes long. Some A-level lessons are 105 minutes to allow plenty of time for practical work.
To provide technical support to the School’s Physics teaching staff in the delivery of class practical experiments and teacher demonstrations .
- Assembling equipment required for lessons, from information provided by the teachers, from the course books or from the technician notes.
- Setting up demonstrations of Physics principles, from information provided by the teachers, from the course books, from the technician notes or from research on the web.
- Maintaining stock levels of consumables and keeping an inventory of equipment.
- Assisting with the day to day administration of safety and in keeping the lab tidy and safe.
- Repairing broken/damaged equipment.
- To support teachers in the process of ordering practical equipment.
- Maintaining the radiation use log and regular stock checks under the direction of the school’s Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS).
- Assisting other technicians in Chemistry and Biology, where required, under direction (i.e. helping to move apparatus and equipment).
- Practical skills and knowledge of basic electrical circuits. To be able to identify components such as capacitors, resistors and diodes. To be able to check and replace fuses.
- Ability to use an oscilloscope, electrical meters etc., to take measurements.
- An appreciation of safety requirements and safety equipment.
- IT/computer literate. Use of Word, Excel etc.
- Practical DIY skills in woodwork or similar to assemble models etc.
- Ability to work independently with a proactive attitude.
- Good organisational skills are essential to ensure that everything is delivered to the right lab on time.
If you feel that you have the qualities we are looking for, we would be delighted to hear from you.
A handover period of approximately 3 days will be required so flexibility to attend some days this academic term (before 6th July) would be advantageous.