We are looking for a Premises Assistant to ensure the provision of a safe, clean, attractive learning environment, as part of a team undertaking responsibility for the maintenance, security, health and safety of the academy site.
Harris Primary Free School Peckham opened in 2012 with reception students and have grown by a year group each year.
By growing slowly but steadily, we are able to give every one of our 330 children a great deal of personal attention. We have a superb team of teachers and support staff, all of whom are experts in primary education.
As well as focusing on helping our pupils become confident readers, writers and mathematicians, we also ensure that, as our pupils progress through the school there are a range of music, drama and sporting opportunities for them to experience.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To maintain, repair, build, and refurbish the Academy premises and grounds where such work is within their capabilities. Including plumbing, carpentry and general building skills.
- To carry out site maintenance to the highest of standards, following health and safety procedures and causing as little disruption to the teaching and learning within the Academy as possible.
- To maintain the Academy grounds, including the removal of litter, emptying bins, weeding and clearance and gritting of paths, entrances and roadways during inclement weather.
- To regularly inspect the internal and external fabric of the building, undertaking repairs to defects and reporting any issues back to their line manager.
- To regularly inspect the operation of fire alarm systems and condition of firefighting equipment.
- To receive and distribute deliveries and undertake furniture moving as required.
- To undertake emergency cleaning as required to ensure the safety and continuation of teaching and learning for staff and students.
- To operate the academy heating systems and to report any defects to their line manager
- When required, supervise work by outside agencies/contractors on the premises and grounds, ensuring quality control and Health and Safety procedures are followed. Those areas are left as they are found. Insuring any inefficiency or ineffectiveness is reported back to their line manager.
- To ensure the security of Academy premises during and outside school hours, including the operation of access control systems, intruder alarm and CCTV systems.
- To visit other buildings or material suppliers as required.
- To take part in the Academy’s staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development.
- To engage actively in the Performance Appraisal Review process.
- To work as a member of a designated team and to contribute positively to effective working relations within the Academy, assisting in other teams when necessary.
- To help to implement Academy quality procedures and to adhere to those.
- To seek/implement modification and improvement where required.
- To communicate effectively with your team and Academy staff.
- To communicate and co-operate with persons, agencies or contractors, etc. outside the Academy.
- To follow agreed policies for communications in the Academy.
Marketing and Liaison
- To assist in preparation and support for events such as Open Evening and liaison events with other Federation Academies.
- To contribute to the development of effective links with external agencies/contractors.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and requirements
- Basic training in one or more of the following; plumbing, general and ground maintenance, building maintenance, heating systems.
- Basic knowledge of the operation of heating, ventilating systems and common causes of malfunctions
- Knowledge of maintenance and security systems and procedures
- Knowledge of administration and supervisory skills
- Understanding of appropriate cleaning methods and standards
- At least 2 years’ experience of working in a maintenance environment
- Experience of working with young people (desirable)
Personal Skills & Qualities
- Good communication skills both written and orally.
- Ability for manual handling and physical fitness appropriate to tasks required
- Ability to monitor and report on structural faults/repairs
- Ability to monitor and order stocks of materials
- Ability to deal with emergencies occurring outside normal working hours
- Ability to work as part of a team
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Primary Free School Peckham
- Mainstream school with state - free school funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 4 - 11 years
Harris Primary Free School Peckham opened in 2012 to meet the demand for high quality primary school places in Southwark, and now educates children from Reception to Year 6. We have a superb team of teachers and support staff, al...